1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Importing from a .dmp file - incompatible versionnumber

import from dump (.dmp) file. I'm running Oracle database 11g Enterprise edition release 11.1.0.6.0.

the import statement I'm using is

Code:
    impdp system/password@orcl full=Y DIRECTORY=data_pump_dir dumpfile=mydmpfile.dmp logfile=min.log
    and the error I'm getting is "incompatible versionnumber 3.1 in the dumpfile mydmpfile.dmp"

The dump file was exported using oracle 11.2.0.2.0.

I tried to download/unzip the client version of instantclient 11.2.0.2 and add it to the PATH variable in windows and then re-run the script, but it didn't work.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I should go from here to import this dump file without reinstalling the whole database?

Thanks in advance!
  3. Contributing User

Was the correct value used on the version parameter on the export?
    See: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/dp_export.htm#i1007148

And is the correct value being used on the version parameter on the import?
    See: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/dp_import.htm#i1007382
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the quick reply. There was no version parameters used on the export.

I tried adding a "version=11.2.0.2.0" (I also tried with version=LATEST) on the end of the impdp statement, however I still get the same error.

Any other ideas?
  7. Humble Learner

Data Pump Import cannot read dump file sets created by a database release that is newer than the current database release, unless those dump file sets were created with the VERSION parameter set to the release of the target database. Therefore, the best way to perform a downgrade is to perform your Data Pump export with the VERSION parameter set to the release of the target database.

So the VERSION parameter should be used used in EXPORT.

And if you wan to use it in import then,

This parameter can be used to load a target system whose Oracle database is at an earlier compatibility release than that of the source system.

So if you want to down grade use the parameter in EXPORT.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo