1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Installing Oracle 10g developer's suite and database server

i am sort of confused. if i installed oracle 10g dev suite do i still need to install the db 10g?

i tried installing db10g first then the dev suite. On the db 10g i can connect via sqlplus. while i cannot connect on the dev suite, which has a 'sqlplus' too.

i am trying the hr:hr credentials, also tried sys as sysdba
    it gives me tns protocol adapter error (12560)

i tried to replace the tnsnames.ora of the devsuite with the tnsnames.ora of db10g still didn't work. i also set up the ORACLE_HOME to the db 10g's folder

D:\Programs\Oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1

i am sort of wondering why does the devsuite has its own tnsnames.ora. does it have some db server of its own? if it has do i still need to install db 10g?

thank you
  3. No Profile Picture

installation of oracle 10g in windows

hi,

There is a proposal to buy 10 laptops in my office for use to work in oracle 10g and forms and reports developer 2000 . We already have desktops with windows xp and working fine. this is for the officers and i found all new laptops come with windows 7 and not with windows xp.

there seems to be a view that oracle 10g is not compatible with windows 7 and cannot be installed. is that true?

kindly clarify and can suggest some installation guide to do this. I did try searching in google. there seems to be mixed opinion on this. i am a little bit confused as i am new to working in oracle
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

According to the Oracle certificarion Matrix, there is absolutely no discussion for the Windows platform:

The ONLY 10.2. version working with Windows 7 (or Windows Server 2008 R2) is 10.2.0.5.

The same goes for Vista (Server 2008 R1) and 10.2.0.4.

If you are not a supported Customer (meaning, you don't have access to support.oracle.com to download it from there) there is no way to get 10.2 Running on Win7 (Ora Server 2008 R2) or Vista.

But 10.2 went out of primary support on August 1st anyway. So why bothering to install an old and outdated product ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo