1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Oracle 8.1.6 - redhat 9

Can i install oracle 8.1.6 on redhat 9 , i almost tried installing i every version of linux but i get the following error

When i run the runInstaller from my console i get the following error

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
    ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
    Please wait...
    [oracle@localhost cdrom]$
    /cdrom/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libzip.so:
    symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
    reference (libzip.so)
    Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
    Could not create Java VM

Any help would be very much appreciated

thanks
    Siva Sankari
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb GLIBC problem

This happens because Oracle looks for an older version of GLIBC in the system

This is how you should install Oracle

Before you start installing Oracle, you need to have the following packages:
    jdk-1.1.8_v3 - Blackdown Linux port of Sun's Java Development Kit
    You can find it at www.blackdown.org
    Red Hat Linux 6.2 compatibility packages
    compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.16
    compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
    compat-libs-6.2-3
    compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.16
    You can find these packages on your RedHat CDs, download them from RedHat site, or from some mirror site.
    glibc-2.1.3-stubs Patch from Oracle. This is available at

http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux...3-stubs.tar.gz

According to jdk documentation, we will install it under /usr/local by issuing e.g.

# tar -xvjf jdk-1.1.8_v3.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local
    Note that it is not necessary to add path to the java executables in PATH environment variable, so you can safely keep whatever jdk or jre version you already have.

We need to create two groups, oinstall and dba.
    The oinstall group will own all the installation files, so user oracle should have the oinstall group as its initial group. We also need one more group, dba, that will have oracle's SYSDBA and SYSOPER privileges granted. User oracle should have the dba group as its supplementary group. Note that all linux users (accounts) that are in group dba will also get these privileges.

# groupadd oinstall
    # groupadd dba
    # useradd -g oinstall -G dba oracle
    # passwd oracle
    Create directories in which database files will reside. Oracle recommends OFA - Optimal Flexible Architecture (see oracle installation guide), but in this example everything will be installed under /home/oracle:

# mkdir /home/oracle/product
    # cd /home/oracle/product
    # mkdir 8.1.7
    # chown -R oracle.oinstall /home/oracle/*

We should now login as user oracle and put the following lines at the end of .bash_profile:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
    source /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh
    export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle
    export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/8.1.7
    export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
    export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
    unset LANG

First two lines modify your environment so that gcc and ld look for glibc 2.1.3 compatibility headers and libraries.The unset LANG line is there because if LANG is set, java is known to generate JNLS Exceptions.

The .bash_profile should now be executed in order to initialize these variables:

$ source /home/oracle/.bash_profile
    or we can just log off and than back on as user oracle.
    If you use some shell other than bash (tcsh, sh, ...) all of those variables should be set according to syntax of your shell and put in script that automatically executes at user login.

Oracle installer should be run from Xwindows by user oracle.
    Start Xwindows and from terminal window mount Oracle 8i CD-ROM and start the installer:

$ /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo