1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

testing access oracle 9i client -> oracle 7.x db ee ...

Hello,

has anybody already been able to establish a successful communication between: an Oracle 9i client and an Oracle 7.x DB Enterprise Edition?

I do only recognize a partial success. Setting up an appropriate tns-service (identifying the database via SID) has been quite easy. The login test via Scott/Tiger works fine. Unfortunately I've still not been capable to run SQL*Plus Worksheet correctly. Applying the same authentication - settings SQL*Plus Worksheet always refuses to work depicting an error message, that indicates a problem with the table PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE. The system advises me to start up the PUPBLD.SQL - script in order to create the table (and the appropriate view).

It would be easy if there would be none of the following strange circumstances:

1. The Oracle 7.x DB server is running different databases. As far as I know the PUPBLD.SQL is started automatically when databases are created. PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE does not exist, but a similar file (PRODUCT_PROFILE) referenced within the view PRODUCT_PRIVS.

2. An Oracle 8i client gets access to the database via the appropriate SQL*PLUS Worksheet. Everything is running fine ...

Is anybody familiar with a problem like that? That's a quite sensitive topic to me, because the Oracle 7.x DB server has got a big load. I don't want to disgruntle my users.

I'd appreciate your help. Bye Sysadv
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would check Metalink for known problems, I've had problems with dblinks from Oracle 9i to Oracle 7 for example.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I don't normally "me too"...

But me too. I had an enterprise 7.3 production db. I rolled out new RedHat 8 linux servers with PHP version 4 and OCI8. Didn't work. I started peeling layers and I was unable to get to the 7.3 db from the oci8 Redhat box using sqlplus.

I was so totally unable to fix it after two weeks, that we delayed moving to RedHat until we finished deploying the 9i database...

-c

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo