1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

testing access oracle 9i client -> oracle 7.x db ee ...

has anybody already been able to establish a successful communication between: an Oracle 9i client and an Oracle 7.x DB Enterprise Edition?

I do only recognize a partial success. Setting up an appropriate tns-service (identifying the database via SID) has been quite easy. The login test via Scott/Tiger works fine. Unfortunately I've still not been capable to run SQL*Plus Worksheet correctly. Applying the same authentication - settings SQL*Plus Worksheet always refuses to work depicting an error message, that indicates a problem with the table PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE. The system advises me to start up the PUPBLD.SQL - script in order to create the table (and the appropriate view).

It would be easy if there would be none of the following strange circumstances:

1. The Oracle 7.x DB server is running different databases. As far as I know the PUPBLD.SQL is started automatically when databases are created. PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE does not exist, but a similar file (PRODUCT_PROFILE) referenced within the view PRODUCT_PRIVS.

2. An Oracle 8i client gets access to the database via the appropriate SQL*PLUS Worksheet. Everything is running fine ...

Is anybody familiar with a problem like that? That's a quite sensitive topic to me, because the Oracle 7.x DB server has got a big load. I don't want to disgruntle my users.

I'd appreciate your help. Bye Sysadv
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Outside US
    I would check Metalink for known problems, I've had problems with dblinks from Oracle 9i to Oracle 7 for example.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

But me too. I had an enterprise 7.3 production db. I rolled out new RedHat 8 linux servers with PHP version 4 and OCI8. Didn't work. I started peeling layers and I was unable to get to the 7.3 db from the oci8 Redhat box using sqlplus.

I was so totally unable to fix it after two weeks, that we delayed moving to RedHat until we finished deploying the 9i database...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo