1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

a generic ques:PL/SQL

HI..

I wanted to ask a very generic question. I had developed a small project in VB-Oracle. I nowhere used PL/SQL...everywhere i had to manipulate or delete record i used...ado..recordset.movenext or .delete .....etc.

My whole project was built on this grounds. My query is when i can build an application without using Procedures...triggers...scripts... what exactly si the usage of these. DOes these come into picture when i have to build a large application???

thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Procedures, triggers, functions and packages are stored in the database and offer modularity and promote reusability. They can be referenced from PL/SQL, 3g and 4g languages.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

you also have the added benefit of decreased transaction overhead since PL/SQL procedures are executed directly by the backend. You'll find that the toolset for PL/SQL is GREAT for any size application, web-based or not, easy to get to the next step and use J-Developer. Most database problems can be solved from the application perspective but this abstraction is NOT the strength of Oracle over, say, MySQL... Here you are using the tools that come with the database to perform data-centric operations.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo