1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help Configuring Rman Utility

I know people ask all day how do they backup Oracle or help with 'Rman' utility however I'm trying to follow this and it advises me to set the two variables before I use 'rman':

1. Create a Fast/Flash recovery area:

Code:
    Alter system set db_recovery_file_dest=’/u01/app/oracle/backup’;
    Now when I attempt this, I don't know where to enter this command but assume it's in either SQLPlus* or RMAN utility. They appear to be SQL statements so I know I don't run them in the bash shell, right? Anyone know how I do this?

2. Set the recovery size quota for the backup:

Code:
    Alter system set db_recovery_file_dest_size=2G;
    I'm not clear where or how I should be configuring these parameters before I use the RMAN utility. Can someone please clear this up for me? Sorry I'm very green to Oracle so I'm trying my best.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cool

Originally Posted by CarlosinFL
    I'm not clear where or how I should be configuring these parameters before I use the RMAN utility. Can someone please clear this up for me? Sorry I'm very green to Oracle so I'm trying my best.
    The commands you posted create an area where you could use as a default location for the archive logs and backups.

Those commands (or storage area) are not necessary for rman to make backups.

Check out the fine Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Reference.

Here is an example to configure the rman backup location:
    Code:
    CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT 'X:\backupdata\ORCL\%d_%T_%s_%u';

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo