1. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Looking to learn perl? COMPREHENSIVE list of online and dead-tree resources

Say "Thank you Woolfy at perlmonks ! "

Seriously. This list rocks.
  3. Perl Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows
    Picked up this one on XML on another forum: http://xmltwig.com/links.html

The FAQ at the top is fairly impressive. If you're starting out in XML and want to know how it works, what module to use, the differences between them, etc, that link is for you.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

That seems to be a pretty nice list. Thanks for posting Hero.

For starting out using mod_perl, I found this page very useful in pointing out a few additional gotchas that I didn't find elsewhere: http://www.flatlineconstruct.com/tal...e_changes.html
  7. kill 9, $$;
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Devshed's list of perl tutorials: Clicky

[edit by Scorpions4ever]Added what the link was about[/edit]
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; April 10th, 2005 at 09:06 PM.
  9. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Firefox search engine extensions for CPAN

Thanks to Xaqte on tek-tips.com, and the nice people who wrote them

Comments on this post

• icrf agrees : In Opera, you can get the same effect by editing search.ini
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Web Applications

The best beginner book I've run across for writing web applications in Perl is MySQL and Perl for the Web because it covers many aspects of writing web apps. It is based on CGI.pm and DBI which are the way informed people start writing Perl CGI scripts. It covers many concepts with both explaination and code, including getting HTTP request parameters from CGI.pm, writing SQL queries with DBI placeholders, server and client-side session management, sending email and also mentions mod_perl. For some reason this book isn't on the PerlMonks list and other threads that discuss books get closed but I think it's an excellent starting point and worth mentioning.

If you just do occasional Perl web programming, CGI.pm and DBI may cover your needs, however if you build larger web applications you may soon find yourself looking for more. Here is an example progression:

Going from CGI.pm to using CGI::Application and HTML::Template is a relatively straight-forward progression which you can learn bit by bit. Moving to Catalyst and friends is a bit of a larger leap however you can ease the transition by beginning Catalyst with DBI and HTML::Template. Before you get to Catalyst you'll want to understand Perl OOP.

Once you get beyond CGI.pm and DBI, online resources will become more useful than books as few books cover HTML::Template, CGI::Application, Catalyst and DBIx::Class (though Template Toolkit does have it's own excellent O'Reilly book).

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees
    Last edited by Conundrum; May 9th, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Good Learning Resources

Erm, well, at the risk of recommending my own site, I hope Perl Circus would be considered a good resource for learning: http://www.perlcircus.org
  15. So help me Codd

And don't forget PL/Perl in PostgreSQL, can do wonderfull things. Andrew Dunstan wrote some articles at the O'Reilly Network about Perl in PostgreSQL.

Have fun!
    Last edited by pgFrank; April 5th, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Lost in translation...
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Conundrum
    The best beginner book I've run across for writing web applications in Perl is MySQL and Perl for the Web ...
    I'll second that on the MySQL and Perl for the Web book. It is a fantastic book on the subject.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo