1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Call external command check for core dumped

Hello all,

I have to debug someone's code and I don't know much about Perl. I tried to google but found no solution. I am puzzled that I found no similar problem online. I am stuck at trying to display an error message or copy a file when there is a core dumped calling external program. This is the code:

open CMD, "$cmd 2>&1 |"
    or die `cp $StdInFile /tmp`;

or

open CMD, "$cmd 2>&1 |"
    or die "cmd failed: $cmd";

The program exists and working. However, the program fails whenever user enters bad inputs and it core dump. When core dump it never executes die. Why? How can I get it to execute die when there is a core dump? Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    btran
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hmm, not sure I will be able to help very much. First, the syntax used in your commands is unknown to me and looks pretty strange to me.

Second, if you get a core dump, it means that your system crashed (well, almost crashed, it was able to recover, but only by killing the faulty process -- my explanation is probably not very accurate technically, but that's the idea.). In other words, it is not a Perl error, but a Unix error when running the command issued by the Perl script. Perl cannot control that.

The die function will enable you to report an error internal to your program (e.g. @_ contains only two items, and the subroutine exprects three), a system call error (the system call was not able to open the file or the socket) or even a system command (with the backticks or the system function) if it returns a failure status (it was impossible to create the directory called for in the `mkdir $foo`, perhaps because it already existed or because you had unsufficient privileges), but it cannot catch a system command running amok to the point that the OS had to kill it in emergency to avoid losing control, which is what is usually happening when Unix creates a code dump (perhaps the command is exhausting the full system memory).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You should be able to trap the core dump if you use IPC::System::Simple to run your command instead of using open.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought that was the case.

Thanks
    btran

Originally Posted by Laurent_R
    Hmm, not sure I will be able to help very much. First, the syntax used in your commands is unknown to me and looks pretty strange to me.

Second, if you get a core dump, it means that your system crashed (well, almost crashed, it was able to recover, but only by killing the faulty process -- my explanation is probably not very accurate technically, but that's the idea.). In other words, it is not a Perl error, but a Unix error when running the command issued by the Perl script. Perl cannot control that.

The die function will enable you to report an error internal to your program (e.g. @_ contains only two items, and the subroutine exprects three), a system call error (the system call was not able to open the file or the socket) or even a system command (with the backticks or the system function) if it returns a failure status (it was impossible to create the directory called for in the `mkdir $foo`, perhaps because it already existed or because you had unsufficient privileges), but it cannot catch a system command running amok to the point that the OS had to kill it in emergency to avoid losing control, which is what is usually happening when Unix creates a code dump (perhaps the command is exhausting the full system memory).
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that.

Thanks
    btran

Originally Posted by FishMonger
    You should be able to trap the core dump if you use IPC::System::Simple to run your command instead of using open.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo