Thread: CGI Book?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I recently purchased "Perl Programmer's Interactive Workbook" by Vincent Lowe to learn Perl. I am almost through the book, and although I am not a Perl master, I feel that I have enough knowledge of Perl to start writing some good CGI scripts. The book I purchased does not cover any CGI. I was aware of that when I bought the book. I did not want a book with any CGI in it because I thought that a book with CGI in it would spend more time on the CGI aspect than on the Perl aspect and I would not understand the code. I need a book that covers CGI scripting with Perl, containing everything form forms to cookies to writing large applications, like this bulletin board, for example.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a solid CGI book?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture

if you already know some html, try the CGI.pm documentation (perldoc CGI)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you want a CGI book to get you started, Perl and CGI for the WWW by Elizabeth Castro is the easiest, though later you might find yourself doing things rather differently....

Learning Perl by Schwartz & Christiansen has one chapter on CGI that is quite reasonable and the rest of the book is a good beginner's Perl tutorial.

But if you really want the complete lowdown, get CGI Progamming with Perl by Guelich. This covers *everything*.

And for the bonus point, the complete text of the first (out of print) edition of the last title is available online at
    http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/cgi/

That should be more than enough to get you started.
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>if you already know some html, try the CGI.pm documentation

Don't even try that. You need to learn the syntax of Perl in the first place. CGI.pm simplifies many tasks to make your codes look easier but not neccessary faster. You need to start from ground up, don't try to learn CGI.pm from the beginning.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo