1. No Profile Picture
    chinnavi
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I just wanna know whether it is correct:

Traditional CGI Programs ...Like PERL,PHP
    will take lotta memory to run on the server side But Servlets (JSP) will exist only one copy of that process ..
    In more unix words ...
    Every user will fork one process in turn if 1000 user connected to our site will generate 1000 processes ...But Java Servlets will fork only one process and manage 1000 users... It is True ?

Then why should we use CGI - PERL and PHP ..

vijay
  3. .Net Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

yea Vijay,

Cgi has a serious perfomance problem...
    It will open a separate process for each client request.That is expensive in terms of processor and memory resources.but now fastCGI and Apache's mod_perl are helping address performence issue in cgi.

I am writing code in five server side technologies(Jsp,Asp,Cgi/perl,Php and Coldfusion).I feel every these technologies are having some kind advantages over each other.

--
    servelets(jsp) performence is significantly better than other technologies.servlets execute within the address space of a webserver.and also it is platform-independant.
    ----

>>
    >>Then why should we use CGI - PERL and PHP ..
    >>

Php is the wonderful technology in server side scripting arena.It is having everything which you want to develop an extraordinary website.Also it has a wonderful future in server side.

-------------
    -------------

Let us hear what others saying about same topic!!!

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, almost everyone who are using Perl for server-side scripting, install mod_perl, which sovles the problem of forking multipl processes for each script being executed. As for PHP, it is mostly compiled as an Apache module, which in turn means it is speeded up...

7. No Profile Picture
    chinnavi
    Then How can we (perl , i'm a perl lover)..
    do better things with PERL and CGI ...
    Why should we use perl or PHP then ...

vijay
  9. No Profile Picture
    ledjon
    I'm a perl junky myself, but even I'm willing to admit php is better and faster for database access (such as mysql). I use all php for that stuff. It's like the unix version of asp (which was completly designed for database use), so it's obvious that it's best for database stuff.

But as for just about every other thing that I would ever need to do, I use perl. It's my favorite to program in and is the most multi-system compatiable way of doing stuff. (Most server's have cgi, but not all have php or asp).
  11. No Profile Picture
    chinnavi

if perl is havin performance problem how people having .pl or .cgi will move then
    to servlets and other technlogies...
    what about ASP ...this also having very serious performance problem ....
    If i want to use servlets then they need money for the purchase ?
    linux is open source , perl , apache , mysql everything is open source .. why should i use asp , the waste thing , the servlets ...

why and where i have to use these things?

vijay
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, porting programs is always hard. As for ASP, I personally dislike it. Its syntax has something that I simply don't like, like the fact that you cannot use meta-characters (like n or such) but have to convert ASCII values useing the Chr() function.

Well, I guess everything has its own niche somewhere. As for servlets, I think they are cool, but they require that you know Java (I think) which is not all that easy to master. I would stick with Perl and PHP for the time being. These two have almost everything that you could need...
  15. .Net Developer

dwarf,

you know, ASP is the easiest techonoly in server side programming.if you are using Asp with Vbscript,that would be the the eaiest way to develop good websites.Microsoft is providing alot of functionalities for developing websites with asp.I feel real power of ASP is that it's capacity to integrate with ACTIVEX,COM/DCOM technologies..Any one can do ASP programming with some VB or VC++ experience..

<<
    like the fact that you cannot use meta-characters (like n or such)
    >>

For that you have alot of functions in vb.. you can use that.eg: VbCrlf,VbNewLine..

sorry i'm forgetting this is a perl forum..
    ---------

Even though it is a powerful technology,i feel it is lacking something ..
    i don't know what is that!!!

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com

[This message has been edited by Shiju Rajan (edited July 10, 2000).]
  17. No Profile Picture
    chinnavi

i think i better should study ASP than perl..
    Now i know only perl and php and dont know anything in windows side ..
    I thought better i should learn these things than perl and php and go for others like ASP and VB scrtipt

vijay
  19. .Net Developer

vijay,
    You misunderstood our discussion i guess..

Any one can do ASP programming with some VB

As i said earlier Asp programs any one can do(silly programming)...

Everyone can't write perl programs..
    Also Asp is limited only in NT.Your perl program can run in all the platforms...
    Also php is now getting good popularity..
    So stick around these two technologies...

I have developed more than 20 sites in Asp.You know,you will get bored after 2 projects.Nothing is their for giving you a challenge..

but in perl or in php you get challenging job.and you will be more enthusiastic to work..And it has a wonderful future in server side development...

------------------
    SR -
    webshiju.com

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ASP is great for NT servers, and that is about it. I cannot argue with the fact that it is the easiest around, 'cause it certainly is. I just said that I found its syntax a little confusing. Maybe because I was used to languages which use ; as an end-of-statement character... Of course, for newbies in the world of programming and database manipulation it is the best choice. The only problem will always remain: portability. If you should move your app from an NT server to a UNIX server, you are almost always looking at a total rewrite...

Anyway, use what you need to get the job done, right?? There is no sinlge perfect tool...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo