1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Difference B/N perl and KSH,bash

Hi members,

Can u please tell me the difference b/n perl and bash,ksh.

Note: If there is any links for this please provide me because i am new to scripting.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    They are different scripting languages. Technically, ksh and bash are command shells that just happen to have a built-in scripting language. Most ksh and bash scripts are typically used to script a bunch of commands that you'd otherwise have to type by hand one at a time. bash and ksh scripts also tend to use other programs (such as cat, ls, grep, sed etc.) to do some of the work.

On the other hand, perl is a dedicated programming language and comes with a lot more capabilities than ksh and bash. There are a whole lot of third party modules written for perl to do everything from transforming text to solving equations to generating graphics and such. It is a much more generic and powerful programming language IMHO.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo