1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Inherited Perl website, desperate for help

I have inherited this fairly complex Perl scripted website with a drd offsite database (?) and some cgi files.
    I'm able to read through most of the code and make edits where necessary - it seems pretty cut and dry when if one is familiar with PHP...

Most all of the website runs well enough, but there's a subfolder the programmer created that continues to throw an internal server error
    no matter what I do.

there are so many moving parts in the whole site I can't tell exactly how this folder comes into play, but my client insists that it can
    be called in the browser - but all i'm getting is this Internal Server error.

An SSL cert is involved, too, and I'm flat stuck.

I'm really hoping I can get someone to look at a few of these files and maybe give me an idea what's happening?

The folders index file is index.cgi and even if the file is empty i get the error -

I really hope someone can give me a small hand with this - asking for help is all I have left. if someone's willing to help, I'll try to post some
    coding that i think is relevant, or i'd be willing to give someone access to the server, even.

Thanks much to anyone who can help,
    Glenn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have you checked the web server error log? It should give you some clues to troubleshoot the problem.
  5. No Profile Picture

thank you, i'm looking at it now...
  7. No Profile Picture

can you tell me what "suexec policy violation" could possibly refer to?

and this "Use of uninitialized value $in{"p"}"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"suexec policy violation" would seem to indicate that the script is attempting to execute a shell command without proper rights.

"Use of uninitialized value $in{"p"}" is telling you that var (hash key) doesn't have a value assigned to it (or the hash key doesn't exist).
  11. No Profile Picture

by var you mean variable, of course. you call the whole variable, $in{"p"} a hash key? this stuff apparently acts just like php in these terms. shouldn't be hard to track down why the value is missing for that...

there are certain symbols i don't recognize, operators or whatever >> such as '-e' in an if statement, and 'ne' in an if statement...?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

-e is a file test operator which tests if the file exists.

ne is the not equal string operator which tests if both of it opernds are equal
  15. No Profile Picture

aha. thanks so much, Fish. here's hoping...
  17. Contributing User

Make sure the user/group of the subdirectory in question is the same as it's parent directory. Apache won't send files it cannot read, and throw an error (code 500) instead.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo