1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a CGI Script written in Perl which resides on a Unix Server. Do I need to install Perl seperately into the server or is it there by default? Please Clarify.

Regards
    Ravikumar Eswaran
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>I have a CGI Script written in Perl which resides on a Unix Server.

If you could provide us which specific UNIX, we may then have a clue if Perl is installed by default.

>>Do I need to install Perl seperately into the server

What server? A webhost server? If they run a webhosting company, they should have Perl installed. You should ask your webhost for such question anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture

Open a shell window and without the quotes type "whereis perl". If perl is already installed and is residing in your path, you should see one or more directory paths appear(i.e. /usr/bin/perl). If this were the case then the first line of your scripts would read #!/usr/bin/perl. If not, that doesn't mean it's not installed. This is just one quick check.
  7. No Profile Picture

If you determine that Perl is installed on the server using the "whereis Perl" command in a telnet session, you will also need to know what modules are installed on the server. Best script I've found for this is Perldiver available at http://www.scriptsolutions.com.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo