1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installation issues for DBD::mysql

Hey all, so I'm having issues installing DBD::mysql. Here's my error message:

cpan[1]> install DBD::mysql
    Going to read '/home/chris/.cpan/Metadata'
    Database was generated on Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:10:57 GMT
    Running install for module 'DBD::mysql'
    Running make for C/CA/CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.022.tar.gz
    Checksum for /home/chris/.cpan/sources/authors/id/C/CA/CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.022.tar.gz ok
    Scanning cache /home/chris/.cpan/build for sizes
    ............................................................................DONE

CPAN.pm: Going to build C/CA/CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.022.tar.gz

Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 83.

Cannot find the file 'mysql_config'! Your execution PATH doesn't seem
    not contain the path to mysql_config. Resorting to guessed values!
    Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 479.
    Can't find mysql_config. Use --mysql_config option to specify where mysql_config is located
    Can't find mysql_config. Use --mysql_config option to specify where mysql_config is located

PLEASE NOTE:

For 'make test' to run properly, you must ensure that the
    database user 'chris' can connect to your MySQL server
    and has the proper privileges that these tests require such
    as 'drop table', 'create table', 'drop procedure', 'create procedure'
    as well as others.

mysql> grant all privileges on test.* to 'chris'@'localhost' identified by 's3kr1t';

You can also optionally set the user to run 'make test' with:

perl Makefile.PL --testuser=username

Failed to determine directory of mysql.h. Use

perl Makefile.PL --cflags=-I<dir>

to set this directory. For details see the INSTALL.html file,
    section "C Compiler flags" or type

perl Makefile.PL --help
    Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site]
    'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent state
    CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.022.tar.gz
    /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site -- NOT OK
    Running make test
    Make had some problems, won't test
    Running make install
    Make had some problems, won't install
    Could not read metadata file. Falling back to other methods to determine prerequisites
    Failed during this command:
    CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.022.tar.gz : writemakefile NO '/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site' returned status 512

I do have the dev libraries installed and DBI is installed an up to date. I'm very new to all of this so I'm pretty much at a loss of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  3. Hockey face
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

you are having trouble with a PERL module so this is better off in the PERL forum in my opinion. If you want the thread moved let me know and I (or another mod) will move the thread for you.

You may also want to look at the MySQL version attached to that DBD file as 4.0.22 is significantly out of date.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey, yeah I didn't really think about it but if you could move it that would be great, thanks.

And I don't think that version number corresponds to the mysql version (5.5), as it is the latest version of DBD:mysql released Aug. 29 2012.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Also, and I'm just guessing here, it's possible that the file 'mysql_config' is either missing or in the wrong place!
  9. No Profile Picture

WELL. On a whim I decided to run "cpan upgrade" and after it did a lot of stuff, DBI and DBD::mysql are both installed and up to date. At first I was like, this vexes me. I find myself terribly vexed...

but it seems to be functioning so...I will tentatively say that my problem is solved for now. Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll be back when the next crisis hits

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo