1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello.
    I've been learning Perl lately, but I've decided I won't get anywhere unless I get some books.

The two top books on my list are Learning Perl 2nd Edition and Programming Perl 3rd Edition.
    I've ordered these two books at the library (hehe, at least they're free )

But I wanted to know your honest opinions...

What do you guys think is/are the best book(s) on Perl?? Like, best book for learning, for reference, etc.....
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"Learning Perl" is great. Its a tutorial-style book, that will take you from the very begginings to some complex stuff, very easily. And since it was written by Randal Shwartz, it has some really good code examples. You won't make a mistake on this one...

As for "Programming Perl" I own the 2nd edition, and I'm not that thrilled with it. Yes, it is filled with useful information, but sometimes it seems to me that that information was simply taken from the docs that come with Perl. So, you would probably be best off finding a ton of paper and a decent printer...

One other book which is, IMHO, very good, is "Advanced Perl Programming" also from O'Reilly. It is known as "The Panther Book", and it describes some advanced stuff in Perl, like OO programming (Object Oriented), complex data structures (references, nested lists, nested hashes), networking, GUI programming, and some other nice stuff.

Other than that, I don't know any good books. You might also try Wrox (http://www.wrox.com/), maybe they have something nice...
  5. No Profile Picture

HI I have been learning Perl for about a month too ... I think Learning Perl is great, not so sure about programming Perl though. Ok the information is there and you cannot say it doesn't cover everything but I think sometimes it is hard to access the information. Bah I guess I am just too much of a Newbie or something. Anyways the other book I would like to rave about is CGI Programming with Perl. I am finding it extremely useful
    Anyways my humble contribution to the discussion.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

when you get to know perl some more - a great book is the owl (o'Reilly) Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey E.F. Friedl - I'm reading it at the moment - don't know why I didn't get it sooner
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanx!
    After I finish Learning Perl (2nd Edition), I am planning on reading Mastering Regular Expressions, then Learning Perl DBI, and finally Advanced Perl Programming
    (I have Programming Perl 3rd Edition as a reference book)

Any other suggestions?
  11. No Profile Picture

For learning Perl, I'd recomment these two:
    1) Learning Perl (might want to skip the first chapter at first)
    2) Elements of Programming Perl

Other "must haves":
    1) Programming Perl 3rd Edition (much improved over the 2nd Edition).
    2) Effective Perl Programming
    3) Perl Cookbook
    4) Programming the Perl DBI

If you do CGI or mod_perl:
    1) Guide to Programming with CGI.pm
    2) CGI Programming with Perl 2nd Edition
    3) Writing Apache Modules with C and Perl
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have Perl Black Book - it covers quite a lot of topics but nothing with DB
    Anyway, it's a easy-reading book though

------------------
    - Son
    123finder.com - Free Domain Name Generator
    ad-rotator.com - Free ad rotator system for small businesses/sites

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo