1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi!

I've just started to use Perl.
    Now, I've the following problem:

Say, I wanna have a web site seperated into two frames (an upper and a lower one). The upper frame contains kinda navigation bar with several buttons. When clicking on a buttons it will change its picture and stays that way. Meanwhile the lower frame switches to the responding URL.

How can you do that using Perl ?
    I did it using JavaScript before, but JavaScript can (and should) be turned off...

Thanx for any hints.
  3. No Profile Picture

well, if the people have activeperl installed, you can use client-side perlscript for dhtml, but, i suggest javascript for this... everyone has it, and you dont need to make a round trip to the server just to change an image.
  5. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigoshi:
    Hi!

I've just started to use Perl.
    Now, I've the following problem:

Say, I wanna have a web site seperated into two frames (an upper and a lower one). The upper frame contains kinda navigation bar with several buttons. When clicking on a buttons it will change its picture and stays that way. Meanwhile the lower frame switches to the responding URL.

How can you do that using Perl ?
    I did it using JavaScript before, but JavaScript can (and should) be turned off...

Thanx for any hints.
    [/quote]

Tell me, why should JavaScript be turned off? That's the sillies thing I have heard recently.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anonym0us:

Tell me, why should JavaScript be turned off? That's the sillies thing I have heard recently.
    [/quote]

yeah thats got me scratching my head too...
  9. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>...Meanwhile the lower frame switches to the responding URL

Why don't you reload the entire frameset?

>>How can you do that using Perl ?

Check out this simple example which might help you in some ways -> http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Forums/F...ML/000354.html
  11. No Profile Picture

First of all thanx for your comments...

To freebsd:

I've tried to do it this way before, but I discovered a problem when using the browsers reload function on that kinda site.

On reload the browser always had problems displaying the page - without showing any error message.
    Perhaps anyone knows THAT problem. It only appeared when using the "overall most used browser": Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
    Opera 5 didn't seem to have this problem though - the site just worked fine.

BiG OSHi
  13. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>On reload the browser always had problems displaying the page

What kind of display problem?
    If you already checked out my example, you would see I didn't use any JavaScript at all. When you call up http://www.domain.com/xyz.pl directly, the frameset output would re-request the script two additional times for the appropriate frames (with the predefined query string).
    Note, no static html pages at all, all pages including frameset page should be created on the fly. Of course, if you want your top frame to be a static page, just rewrite it to the frameset section.

Say hotmail, the entire frameset is reloaded whenever you click on something.

[This message has been edited by freebsd (edited December 26, 2000).]
  15. No Profile Picture

Well, now it works...

I wrote quite the same code before I posted my first question here 'cause it didn't work then...yours obviously works fine...I don't get it...

Nevertheless, thanx for your help !

BiG OSHi

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo