1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

I saved my cash and sprung for a business hosting account from a major ISP. I told them ahead of time what i intended to do, how i intended to do it. NOW, i find out that they offer -no- support for any sort of database other than flat text. Their advice? "Oh, hrm, well, you could go elsewhere..."

My question is this. I need a message board system similar to this one. That is the only thing i need a db for. Can this be accomplished with a flat text DB? They list a few perl modules: AnyDBM_File.pm db_file NDBM_File.pm ODBM_File.pm SDBM_File.pm gdbm_file perl5db.pl, but i know nothing whatsoever of perl. IF this is my only route i will gladly learn, but is it good enough for what i want to do using text files?

Advice? Are there any resources i could use to show me how to do this with a flat text DB? are there any workarounds that would let me use a traditional DB. Thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture

Most bulletin board software that you would use on your web site would have a flat-text database backend. The DevShed forums use software called the Ultimate Bulletin Board. There's also another pretty good package called UltraBoard. Essentially, both of these will accomplish the same thing and your server will definitely support both of these.

If this doesn't answer your question, let me know and I'll post more info.

By the way, what hosting company do you use right now? Just curious so that nobody makes the same "mistake" you did.

dr. cyclops
  5. No Profile Picture

Mindspring. And i would advise anyone against a Biz package if you want anything much more than a homepage with cgi access. Convienently they do have a firm they outsource to for customer databases. Wanna bet they have a vested interest in Mindspring not offering DB support?
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok, here is what I would suggest. 1) If you need to duplicate the utility of this bulletin board, buy yourself a license!

2) If you are gonna write something from scratch, I suggest using a database. I have a host that allows PERL or PHP access to a MySQL database. If you will follow this link:
    http://208.56.23.163/links/links.html and click on the banner ad, it will take you right to it.

Good Luck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mobyfrob:
    Hi

I saved my cash and sprung for a business hosting account from a major ISP. I told them ahead of time what i intended to do, how i intended to do it. NOW, i find out that they offer -no- support for any sort of database other than flat text. Their advice? "Oh, hrm, well, you could go elsewhere..."

My question is this. I need a message board system similar to this one. That is the only thing i need a db for. Can this be accomplished with a flat text DB? They list a few perl modules: AnyDBM_File.pm db_file NDBM_File.pm ODBM_File.pm SDBM_File.pm gdbm_file perl5db.pl, but i know nothing whatsoever of perl. IF this is my only route i will gladly learn, but is it good enough for what i want to do using text files?

Advice? Are there any resources i could use to show me how to do this with a flat text DB? are there any workarounds that would let me use a traditional DB. Thoughts?
    [/quote]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo