1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Using XML::LibXML with existing XML object

I inadvertently posted a similar thread (using XML::XPath) in the PHP forum which has not yet been moved but since I've decided to switch to XML::LibXML, I'll re-ask it here.

I have a method that returns an XML object. Now I want to use XML:LibXML to find nodes containing certain values. My first obstacle is figuring out how to get an XML::LibXML object from an existing XML::Simple object. All the examples show how to get it using a file or string. Do I really have to convert the existing XML object back to XML then feed that to XML::LibXML->new?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think the best approach would be to drop XML::Simple and do everything with XML::LibXML.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The module I'm using in my script returns an XML object. I can't change that.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

If your returned XML::Simple object is $xml, then you could pass it (i.e., the xml, not the object) to XML:LibXML like this (untested).

Code:
    my $dom = XML::LibXML->load_xml( string => XMLout($xml) );
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks. Converting an XML object into a string, then back to an XML object seemed inefficient. I thought there was a better way to insert it directly. I kind of thought I was going to have to go through a double conversion but was hoping otherwise.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo