Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to alter a part of an image

Hello everyone.

I would first off like to thank you for a wonderful forum and for a chance to ask for assistance directly. It always amazes me to see a group of professionals and enthusiasts willing to offer their immense knowledge and their precious time for nothing in return.
    That is why I am particularly grateful for this forum.

Anyway, I am an absolute newbie to Photoshop and pretty much to graphics processing as well, so my question I guess will be an easy one to answer.

I have an image whose part I would like to alter.

To be more specific, I need to change the Batman sign in the sky to a letter "B".

I'm guessing it is done with a selection tool, but that's where my idea ends.

What is the easiest way to go about this?

I have always wondered how this thing is done because it is used to often is today's image processing, but never had to find out the answer myself.

Thank you very much in advance.
  3. /*
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Do you mean you are trying to edit out one part of an image so you can replace it with your own artwork? If so you should look into the clone stamp tool , healing brush tool and the patch tool. Experiment with the three tools, one may be more suited to you depending on your image.
    */
  5. No Profile Picture

I agree with benno.go ahead and keep it up.thanks benno
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey, benno. Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't online for a while.

Thank you very much for your help. However, I am an absolute begginer in Photoshop, so even though I looked into all three method thoroughly, I'm still in the dark about how I would go about doing what I need done.

I guess the new image can be considered my own artwork (I just need the Batman sign to be changed into a letter "B"), but I have no idea how to do that, and especially how to blend it into the image to make it seamless.

If it's not too much problem, could you please explain how I could use the original part of the image that needs to be changed in order to modify it to my own needs (a sing into a letter)?

I see things like this all the time on humor sites, a part of an image changed to something else, so I guess it can't be that hard, can it?

Thank you in again advance.
  9. /*

Can you give an example? I an not 100% sure what you mean.

Try typing the letter 'B' in the font you want.
    Right click on the type layer with your new letter on it.
    Choose Rasterize layer.
    Ctrl+Click on the new raster layer.
    This should give you a selection of the letter B (marching ants should surround the B)
    Drag this selection on to your artwork.
    Choose Select > Inverse
    Delete.

Now you should have your art as the letter B. Make sure you keep a copy of the original art somewhere.

Is that what you mean?
    */
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by benno32
    Can you give an example? I an not 100% sure what you mean.

Try typing the letter 'B' in the font you want.
    Right click on the type layer with your new letter on it.
    Choose Rasterize layer.
    Ctrl+Click on the new raster layer.
    This should give you a selection of the letter B (marching ants should surround the B)
    Drag this selection on to your artwork.
    Choose Select > Inverse
    Delete.

Now you should have your art as the letter B. Make sure you keep a copy of the original art somewhere.

Is that what you mean?
    I'm sorry, I can't get to it work. I tried all three methods and the above mentioned fourth, but I usually get stuck on step two or three and have no idea what to do from there on. Even if I get close, I can't get it to work. I've never used image processing apps before and this is too much for me. I spent hours and days searching help sites and Googling to no avail.

I would show you what I need to do, but the forum doesn't allow me to post links.

Thanks anyway.
  13. /*

The forum wont let you post links until you've made 5 posts. You can space out the sections of the url if you like.
    */
  15. No Profile Picture

The forum wont let you post links until you've made 5 posts. You can space out the sections of the url if you like.
    Thanks a lot for your concern.

It's this photo here: i1.iofferphoto.com/img/stores/iamthenight/iamthenight-Batman-Bat-Signal-CEL.jpg (just add http:// at the beginning).

Basically, I need the Batman sign in the sky to be changed to the letter "B", but, of course, I need it to be seamless. That is, for the letter to look as close to the original thing as possible.

I've tried the clone tool, I picked a white spot for the sample, but it would only white out some portions of the sign. The other parts seem to have been cloned differently, that is like I chose a whole other sample. For some reason, it was cloning something completely different (parts of the Batman sign, to be exact).

Then I tried the brush tool, and that seems to be the easiest way because after I clicked something (don't know what anymore) it would just change the color of the sign regardless of how sloppy my brushing was (the surrounding white parts remained white). But the problem now was I couldn't figure out how to change the color (it was brown by default, or something in that vicinity).

Then I tried sampling for the brush and after I'd do that I couldn't figure out what to click on next to go and actually brush the dark parts out.

As to the patching method, I couldn't even figure out how to start that one.

So that's basically it, that's how far I've gotten.

This is extremely important to me as I will also need to edit titles (changing the letters) and parts of images in a movie in CS4 Extended, so I would also appreciate some feedback on that. Is it done with the same tools I would use for editing still images? Will I need to edit every frame?

I would really appreciate some step-by-step instructions 'cause I doubt I will be able to do this otherwise.

Thank you very much in advance.
  17. /*

OK. I think I understand now.
    First things first. You need to eliminate the bat.
    This should be really easy because it is inside of a white circle.

Try this:

Choose the elliptical marquee tool. Use this chart to identify the tools I mention.

Make a circular selection around your bat but still inside of the overall spotlight.

Choose Edit > Fill from the menu. In the contents menu choose 'Color'.

Now with the color dialog open move your mouse over to a white area inside of the spotlight and click. This samples the color.

Click OK twice.

You should now have a plain spotlight. If that works for you and you have the patience I can think of a way to put a 'B' there that looks like the sky.
    */
  19. No Profile Picture

OK. I think I understand now.
    First things first. You need to eliminate the bat.
    This should be really easy because it is inside of a white circle.

Try this:

Choose the elliptical marquee tool. Use this chart to identify the tools I mention.

Make a circular selection around your bat but still inside of the overall spotlight.

Choose Edit > Fill from the menu. In the contents menu choose 'Color'.

Now with the color dialog open move your mouse over to a white area inside of the spotlight and click. This samples the color.

Click OK twice.

You should now have a plain spotlight. If that works for you and you have the patience I can think of a way to put a 'B' there that looks like the sky.
    Worked!

Oh, man, I had no idea it was that simple. Thank you so much, man.

However, when I used the fill tool, it was way too obvious that it was just a new layer of color, so I thought I'd try the clone stamp tool once again and I finally cracked it.

What was creating problems for me was that what takes the sample during the brushing moves is the crosshair, not the circle. So, as I was taking a sample from one part of the image and pasting it to another part, the crosshair was always on a whole other part of the image, which is what made the confusion.

This time I tried to take the sample as close to the section I'm about to erase as possible, so there were no problems and now it looks very believable (to my eyes at least) because it's not just a shiney white round plate in the middle of the spotlight.

Thank you so much again.

Ok, I'm ready for the second step.
  21. No Profile Picture

Are you here, benno? I have thought of a couple of possible ways to do the remaining myself, but I would really appreciate your ideas.

Thank you in advance.
  23. /*

The easiest thing to do would be to type the letter b. Which will create a new type layer. Click on the type layer while holding down the ctrl button. This will make a selection of the letter b. Now with the marquee tool active drag your selection over to a part of the sky. Now hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys together and drag the letter b over on to the spotlight. You can delete your type layer, you don't need it.
    */
  25. No Profile Picture

The easiest thing to do would be to type the letter b. Which will create a new type layer. Click on the type layer while holding down the ctrl button. This will make a selection of the letter b. Now with the marquee tool active drag your selection over to a part of the sky. Now hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys together and drag the letter b over on to the spotlight. You can delete your type layer, you don't need it.
    Does this include sampling the dark part of the sky at some point (around the spotlight)? Because if it's just the leter B, it won't be believable, it will look like a letter typed and dragged to the white area, and I need it to blend in (to seem like it naturally replaced the Batman sign).

Will this do it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2063367/Photoshop-Tutorial-Inside-Letter-Paint ?
  27. /*

My method did include sampling the sky. I was basically saying that you need to make a selection of the letter B so that you could copy and paste just a part of the sky background--in the shape of the letter b. Try and follow the steps one by one.
    */
  29. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry, either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't work.

Could you please be more specific in your description of steps?

The easiest thing to do would be to type the letter b.
    Ok, where to type it? In a specific area of the image or anywhere?

Which will create a new type layer. Click on the type layer while holding down the ctrl button.
    I'm assuming I click on the layer on the right side of the screen, in the layers list?

This will make a selection of the letter b. Now with the marquee tool active drag your selection over to a part of the sky.
    I don't understand this part at all.

What does marquee tool active mean?

Drag the selection of what? The letter B, the empty dark sky?

Drag over to what part of the sky?

Now hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys together and drag the letter b over on to the spotlight.
    What am I dragging? The selection of the letter B marquee'd, the selection of the letter B unmarquee'd, something else ... ?

In what relation is the previous step to this one?

Please remember that I've never used image processing applications until a couple of days ago.

Thank you again again advance, your help is much appreciated.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo