1. <!--REMOTE_ADDR-->
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I open BMP files in photoshop?

I am using photoshop 6.0, when I try to open BMP files, it gives an error and doesnt open the images.

Is something wrong with my computer/photoshop or is it a property of photoshop - not to open BMP's?

Thanks forne kind of help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

okay first your avatar is just wrong... lol

k you might need to re-instal adobe photoshop because it could of installed improperly.

But you most likely did that once or more... You might want to try and open it with another software like ms paint or something. if it doesnt open up with those software it means the bmp is screwed up. but other then that i am not sure.

hope this helps and good luck
  5. Known to taste like chicken

i dont think its a prob with photoshop itself, as my copy of 6 opens bmps fine, ur particualar copy may have a few 'issues', in which case i would re install, but as TBHN said, it could be the image you are using.
  7. Contributing User

Don't uninstall and reinstall ps just yet!
    Try deleting your preferences file first please!
    I've had to do this a couple times myself.

howto: Do not run ps while doing this.
    Search for a *.psp file on your comp. This will be a hidden file on your comp so be sure to change your folder options to see hidden files and folders. Delete the file prefs.psp. Then restart photoshop. It will automatically generate another prefs.psp file itself. Course, all the things you've customized will be gone. heh. So it's good to make changes within your ps program and backup your prefs file so that if it does go bad, you have a good version of it with your changes.

And as TBHM suggested, FIRST try to open it in another app first, too see if the file itself is corrupted.

animgirl
    Last edited by animgirl; November 13th, 2003 at 01:02 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo