1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I convert a large image to a very small image without losing resolution?

I'm working with CS2 and I have a .png image that's 2048 pixels by 1536 pixels and I want to shrink it down to fit into a web banner whose size is 320x50. When I try to shrink it down the image gets pixelated.

Please help!!

Thanks.
  3. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

That's the nature of raster imagery. In order to size it down, Photoshop must down-sample the image which result in a loss of information and a certain amount of pixelation. You can try using a different sampling algorithm (Photoshop offers several) and you can employ any number of sharpening/softening filters to help define the final output. If you Google, you can find dozens of tutorials for resizing images with Photoshop. When I create icons and smaller images, I skip Photoshop. Oddly enough, I get much better results when I use this online resizing tool.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you. I appreciate your help.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Use another format other than JPEG (PNG or GIF); the results in terms of both file size and image quality will depend on the content of your image; each is better at certain kinds of content.Make the image smaller in terms of pixels - this will have a very significant effect and should definitely be considered if you have control over the overall layout

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo