1. I love your chinese eyes :*
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

How to create smooth curved shapes

Hi

I always face problem with using pen tool to create smooth curves... specially when I give grediant to the shape or the background colour is some dark colour the crude edges of the shape are clearly visible..

can anyone give me a tip how to create smooth curved shapes with photoshop?

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Dissident

You will never get perfectly smooth edges in photoshop because photoshop is not a vector based package, it's a raster based package. This means that instead of creating a real curve, photoshop simulates a curve by placing pixels of varying colors and opacities to fool your eye into seeing a curve.

These days, Photoshop is incorporating more and more vector objects into it's arsenal of tools, so you could use the pen tool to create a path and then stroke that path, or you could use the line tool to create an actual vector based line, but the efficacy of using such items is going to be dependent on your final output.

If your final output is something very high resolution for print publication, then you might be ok, but you'd probably be better off using a real vector package like illustrator or freehand. If your final output is for the web in the form of a jpg or gif, it won't matter at all because you're going to eventually have to reduce your image into a raster format, at which time, your nice clean vector line will be transformed.
    Draelon

PHP Manual :: MySQL Manual :: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
    =======================================================
  5. I love your chinese eyes :*

in fact I want to draw smooth curved shapes to designer website interfaces... is it a good idea to use illustrator for web graphics?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

We can make smooth curve in photoshop. When we make curve, curve became out of control. We can control it by pressing ALT and dragging its curve point onto the achor point. for further assistance open the link:
    http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=30

In the follwing link see the "quick tip"(shaded by yellow colour), which explains what I mentioned above(about pressing ALT key).
    http://www.elated.com/articles/paths-and-the-pen-tool/
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by draelon
    You will never get perfectly smooth edges in photoshop because photoshop is not a vector based package, it's a raster based package. This means that instead of creating a real curve, photoshop simulates a curve by placing pixels of varying colors and opacities to fool your eye into seeing a curve.

These days, Photoshop is incorporating more and more vector objects into it's arsenal of tools, so you could use the pen tool to create a path and then stroke that path, or you could use the line tool to create an actual vector based line, but the efficacy of using such items is going to be dependent on your final output.

If your final output is something very high resolution for print publication, then you might be ok, but you'd probably be better off using a real vector package like illustrator or freehand. If your final output is for the web in the form of a jpg or gif, it won't matter at all because you're going to eventually have to reduce your image into a raster format, at which time, your nice clean vector line will be transformed.
    Actually Photoshops shapes tool, uses a vector engine. As long as you apply the gradient to the shape layer without rasterizing it; you should be able to retain the smooth vector image.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo