1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

creating a new window

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a problem I am having with Photoshop 7.

Here is what I want to do - You will probably laugh but I am having trouble figuring this out (just a newbie).

I want to use only a part of a picture that I have - I use the marquee tool and create a square around the area that i want to have. I would like that portion of the picture to go into a window of it's own - I want the new window to be the exact size of the portion i want. I know there must be a command key that I could use that would allow me to do this. I am using a PC. Hopeyou understand what I want. If not let me know.

Thanks for the help
    chuck
    chuckw@shaw.ca
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If I understand you correctly then photoshop by default, when making a new canvas, sets the size parameters the same as what is in the clipboard.

In other words no hotkeys, nothing special to do just copy what you want and when making a new canvas don't change the the size. Oh and don't forget to paste in what you want, that's always very useful.

[edit]
    No need to post your email addy. There's a button right below your post that deprecates the need to post your addy. Oh and it's just more food for the "harvesters"

And I don't need to mail you an answer since VB does that for me when I post.
    Thanks VB, my life is so easy now.

Welcome to devshed.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by kolatracks; October 27th, 2003 at 10:00 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

With the marquee tool, make your selection from the existing image, copy the selection (CTRL+C), then open a New document (CTRL+N) and paste (CTRL+V) the selection into the new document's window (without changing the new document's image size).

Voila! C'est bon!
  7. No Profile Picture

creating a new window

Thanks guys!!!!

I knew it would be something simple. Thanks for the help

chuck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo