1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cool how to cure pixelated images

I scanned a small image, this small image will be transferred to a more larger frame, lets say if the image is 3x2 inches, it will be transferred into a frame about 32x16 inches. So with that, I have to resize the image, but when I resize it to make more visible to the eye, the image turns pixelated, how can I fix the image so it'll be smooth again? please help, thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Happy Monkey
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If an image is scanned in at 3x2 inches at a default DPI (Dots per inch) of 150. Then that's going to be 450 x 300 pixels. A 32x16 inch image will be 4800x2400 pixels. That's roughly 10 pixels an inch. So each pixel will be about a three milimeters square. That's your problem. A image at 3" x 2" will not look good at all at 32" x 16"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

so how can I cure it? is there another way to make the image smooth?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Happy Monkey

You can add a blur. Filters/blurs try a gausion blur of about 2 or 3, but it's not going to look good at all once it's printed.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, that is a big zoom. You 'could' try scanning at a high dpi, like 600, or even 1200, and also scan at 200% or so. You'd have more information to work with and it might enlarge with better quality, but again, that's a pretty big enlargement.
  11. No Profile Picture

alan carter

Originally Posted by crackerweb
    I scanned a small image, this small image will be transferred to a more larger frame, lets say if the image is 3x2 inches, it will be transferred into a frame about 32x16 inches. So with that, I have to resize the image, but when I resize it to make more visible to the eye, the image turns pixelated, how can I fix the image so it'll be smooth again? please help, thanks in advance!
    I would suggest re-scanning at a higher res, as high as your scanner/PC will allow, ,you can then re-produce the image at various sizes I currently have the same problem however I am resizing from 24"xpro at 15meg to 31 feet x 8 feet with no option of a higher res file, so I will need to use a program to blurr the pixalation as the image will be viewed from at least 15 feet away
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unfortunately you wont get a good final version, it's just too big an enlargement. The suggestions above are all good. Scan at the highest resolution and use software to enlarge.

Making the image larger using software is called interpolation and Photoshop is pretty good at it. You can try different settings in PS. Bicubic is usually the default but maybe bicubic-smoother will give better result.

The generally accepted best interpolation program is called Genuine Fractals and is available as a plugin for PS. At about $150 it ain't cheap!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo