1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Arrow Cutting my dog from a photo and putting on another background

As the title says I want to use Photoshop CS6 that my dad gave me for a key for to cut a my dog out of a photo I took, put it on another background and make it good to put on my Zioin's bank debit card.

I have very little experience with Photoshop, mostly I use it for making text for banners and stuff like that.

Can someone help by giving me an idea how to cut my dog out of this picture. (Ok I cant post the picture here, since I am a new user )

She has a lot of fuzzy fur and all that so I am at a total loss.

If you know someone that is learning to do this and would not mind using this as a learning tool and wants to do it, I would not mind that as well.

I am not sure what background I want to put her on, any ideas?

I just am not sure what I want to do exactly, I just want to pull Sadie from the picture, put her on an awesome background and then use that picture for my debit card from Zion's bank. I tried to post a link to the Zion website where the information is on myPhoto but it wont let me.

I hope I am not asking to much here, if someone has any thoughts, wants to play around with it themselves or whatever, just let me know whats on your mind or go at it.

Thanks a ton for your time!!

Sam
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To cut dog from the image, you should use pen tool of the Photoshop that will help you to cut your image in well manner and after cutting it you want to put it on another background which you like, right?

Hence choose the background color if you want the picture of your dog on a simple colored background otherwise choose the background which you like/want because below tutorial is ready to work on your image.

I hope, this example tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB8Uim-JY4Y will help you to cut the image as well as put it on the another background.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jason Parms
    To cut dog from the image, you should use pen tool of the Photoshop that will help you to cut your image in well manner and after cutting it you want to put it on another background which you like, right?

Hence choose the background color if you want the picture of your dog on a simple colored background otherwise choose the background which you like/want because below tutorial is ready to work on your image.

I hope, this example tutorial (URL BLOCKED) will help you to cut the image as well as put it on the another background.
    Thanks for your advice, I tried to watch that specific video and had a really hard time following it. I did find a video showing how to do it using the quick select tool and a layer mask, this I got to almost work perfectly.

I need to take some better pictures tomorrow, with a solid color background or at least outside with less shadows going all over the place. Maybe this will also help me get rid of the reflection in her eyes.

Now I need to 1. Figure out how to get rid of that reflection in her eyes and make them look more normal (most likely no matter where/how I take the picture the reflection will be there) and 2. Find a background that I do like that I can use to put her on, so far that is the hardest part of this whole project lol
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SamuelMSr
    Thanks for your advice, I tried to watch that specific video and had a really hard time following it. I did find a video showing how to do it using the quick select tool and a layer mask, this I got to almost work perfectly.

Now I need to 1. Figure out how to get rid of that reflection in her eyes and make them look more normal (most likely no matter where/how I take the picture the reflection will be there)
    I think you have not seen the full video because in this tutorial, the image is cutting through pen tool only. See again and wait till the video is complete.

Below two tutorials will help to remove reflection in eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4BLOzUl8T0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirMcGATisA
  9. No Profile Picture

You just need to use photoshop pen tool to select the area of your image and then apply clipping path from photoshop toolbar. Its not so difficult. Also you can get some idea from different tutorial, just Google clipping path.Best of Luck.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

pen tool is about the worst option, if your dog has fuzzy hair etc. you'd probably be better using Quickmask to paint the selection and using that to cut the dog out.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KillerWolf
    pen tool is about the worst option, if your dog has fuzzy hair etc. you'd probably be better using Quickmask to paint the selection and using that to cut the dog out.
    I found a tutorial on how to do what I am pretty sure what you said to do and it worked great. It was sooooo hard to cut around the fuzzy fur that sticks out all over the place, and I wanted to preserve as much of that as I can (it is her personality!).

I took her outside and took over 100 pictures and about 20 minutes of video of her until I got something I liked well enough to use. She does not like to sit still and is afraid of the camera because of the noises it makes.

I then found a background I liked and went to work, and about 9 hours later (would probably take you guys 20 minutes) I came up with something I liked well enough to use. I wish I could post a link to the photo bu this thing wont let me. I will try to post a link to my photobucket here and fudge the system a bit, hope I dont get into trouble. (just remove the spaces).

i1305.photobucket .com/ albums/ s553/ Samuel_Moren/SadieSpotlight_zps94353cb2. jpg

Imagine the debit card info on the bottom (name/numbers/expiration, etc.) and on the top right it will say Zions Bank
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SamuelMSr
    I found a tutorial on how to do what I am pretty sure what you said to do and it worked great. It was sooooo hard to cut around the fuzzy fur that sticks out all over the place, and I wanted to preserve as much of that as I can (it is her personality!).

I took her outside and took over 100 pictures and about 20 minutes of video of her until I got something I liked well enough to use. She does not like to sit still and is afraid of the camera because of the noises it makes.

I then found a background I liked and went to work, and about 9 hours later (would probably take you guys 20 minutes) I came up with something I liked well enough to use. I wish I could post a link to the photo bu this thing wont let me. I will try to post a link to my photobucket here and fudge the system a bit, hope I dont get into trouble. (just remove the spaces).

i1305.photobucket .com/ albums/ s553/ Samuel_Moren/SadieSpotlight_zps94353cb2. jpg

Imagine the debit card info on the bottom (name/numbers/expiration, etc.) and on the top right it will say Zions Bank
    that came out really well!
    the Quick Mask is an unbelievably powerful tool for selections, especially for things like hair and fur.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo