Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation "new document" window and "color picker" window has disappeared

Hey! Need bad help.

Here's the deal.. it's pretty simple

Photoshop 7.0
    go to file>new
    ....nothing happens.. no window pops up
    BUT
    all my other menus, toolboxes grey out.. so the "new image" window is open --somewhere-- I know this because if i just hit enter, a new image, will open....
    If I click off the window, like minimize photoshop, it won't let me do anything because when i go back, everything is greyed out and i can't get back to the 'new image' window.. wherever it is.
    I can't even exit photoshop when this happens, I have to ctrl alt del it. (to see what i mean, create a new document, when that window is open, see what you can do in photoshop without clicking on the 'new image' box..... it's frustrating)

the same thing happens when i go to my color picker. If i click on either my foreground or background color, when your color picker window comes up.. when i do that, everything greys out.. no window. It's there somewhere, but no where i can see.

This is what I've tried....
    reinstalling photoshop... nope
    uninstalling/reinstall.. nope
    uninstall/del photoshop folder/reinstall.... nope
    uniinstall/del photoshop folder/del every photoshop registry entry/reinstall.. nope

I'm getting desperate...

Here are my specs
    Windows 2000
    Dell 8100, 1.8ghz, Gforce 2, 512mb ram.

I do have a matrox rt2500 video capture card installed. It does act as a second monitor.. but I have 'disabled' it and i still have the problem.

Thanks for your help in advance
  3. learning to fly

The first thing you should do is delete the preferences file. Your description of the problems sounds suspiciously like a corrupt prefs file. On Win2000, it can be found at: Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\version\Adobe Photoshop (version) Settings folder. Note that this file is not usually removed during the uninstall sequence (It's one of the ones that Windows says it can't remove or delete).

Exit photoshop. Navigate to the foloder containing the prefs file. Locate and rename the existing file to something like 'oldprefs.old' or something along those lines. Then restart Photoshop. You'll have to reset everything you've customized, but obviously you're in that shape anyway so it shouldn't matter.

If this doesn't get you going, you can explore more troubleshooting suggestions on the Adobe support pages at : http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/23fae.htm
  5. No Profile Picture

Talking

Steve... I love you. - jk

Thanks So much...
    Yes it did work..
    Whats frustrating is I realized it was that (corrupt pref file) from the beginning, but forgot that on windows2000 the preferences were stored under the documents and settings folder ( thats why I was deleting my photoshop folder)
    But yes it worked like a charm.

Thanks again!
  7. learning to fly

Glad to hear it worked. Isn't it frustrating to have something so simple cause so much grief?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo