1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

File Association, Opens with 64-bit Photoshop, Not 32

Hello,

I have Photoshop CS4 running on Windows 7.

I have a plug-in that allows me to open .dds files (by NVIDIA), however the plugin only seems to work in the 32 bit Photoshop. I have 32 bit and 64 bit, but by default, it opens the 64 bit Photoshop and says that it is the wrong type of file.

Even if I browse to the 32 bit .exe while trying to change the file association, Windows 7 still recognizes it as "Photoshop" and opens the 64 bit program anyway.

I have browsed through the windows registry, but couldn't find anything that would help.

Anyone have a solution? I couldn't find anything on google. I don't care if I have to use 32 bit photoshop, I would rather just have the option of double-clicking a .dds file instead of opening the 32 bit Photoshop and opening it through the program.

Thanks in advance!

-EDIT-
    Solved it!

In my desperation I just began searching the registry for "Photoshop.exe" - There it had the path for the "Photoshop" that you see when you try to change an association (picking the 32bit version using "open with" doesn't matter because it recognizes it as Photoshop and defaults back to whatever the program is in this registry key).

This should make Photoshop 32 bit open every time you open a Photoshop-associated file.

Here is what I did, for anyone coming from Google:

Start > Run > regedit

Browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\edit\command

Changed the value to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

(old one was the 64 bit path and executable)

Did the same with HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I do not care how old this post is, but it solved my issue, where no other did. THANK YOU!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo