1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

how to fill text with custom pattern ?

hello all

i've been searching for hours how to do this. Basically i have a nice pattern, when i write text i want the text to be filled with this pattern. Simple enough - is it ?

thanks in anticipation
  3. Contributing User

Well,

I would do it this way.
    Double-click on your text layer in the layer palette window. This brings up a Layer Style window with loads of other options.
    In there, there is a Pattern Overlay section. Click on that layer and you will see a box with a pattern already there. This will pop up another window, on the upper right corner of that box, there's a triangle. Click on that and then click on Load Patterns. This will accept custim .pat files.

Or, perhaps you didn't make a .pat file and just want to fill your text with a cool bg you made.
    There are several way to do this, but I generally like to stick with methods that can be changed and adjusted later.

Right-click on your text layer in the layer palette. Click on "Duplicate Layer. Now click on the layer you just duplicated and, at the top toolbar in ps, click on the Layer section. Then go down to Type, and then Convert to Shape.
    Now position your background over the text, and copy the shape from the text layer you just made into a shape, and apply that as a mask to your background layer. You could then delete the layer that made your text shape. I guess you could actually delete your original layer, or do this to your original text layer if you don't want it for anything else.

hth,
    animgirl
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thx for the tip on that animgirl. I knew how to do this, however you done showed me a shortcut. Thx again.
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks for yor quick help. Thats about everything i needed to know - just got one problem though -

'and apply that as a mask to your background layer' if you have time could you just give me a quick list of how to do this ?

thanks again . .
  9. No Profile Picture

actually now i try im having some real problems. Im okay to the point of copying the shape layer but after i cant seem to be able to fill it.
  11. Contributing User

Do you know how to ask a mask to a layer?
    At the very bottom of the layers palette there are 6 small icons. (Course, this is PS6)
    The second button from the left has a shaded square with a white circle in it. Click this twice (after you have clicked on your bg layer in the layers palette.) This will add the ability for you to paste your text shape as a mask on your bg layer.

How are we doing?
    Does that help?
    animgirl
  13. No Profile Picture

you've done fine - thanks. I've sorted it now.
  15. Contributing User

Wonderful!!

animgirl

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo