1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fix corrupt (?) jpg?

Hi, ive just recovered a whole bunch of pictures from a crashed harddrive. The problem is most of them (all of them) are corrupted (i guess their corrupted). Is there any way to fix the pictures? There should be because the windows thumbnails show the pictures without errors, but as soon as i open them in eg picture viewer or firefox, they are corrupt. I cant even open the pictures in photoshop. PS (CS2) just gives me: "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the jpeg data".

This is what the pics look like (small one is windows thumbnail, big one is picture opened in "Windows picture and fax viewer".)

As you can see the thumbnail has no errors.

How do i fix the picture so i dont get errors after opening it?
  3. Happy Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Sorry, I don't have a solution to your problem, but I know the feeling of having your data being corrupted, it has happened to me in two different occasions. It sucks.

But, I just wanted to say that the girl on the right looks European. Is she? In fact she looks like one of my Dutch friends.
  5. Pixel Cruncher
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hi,

If you haven't done so already you can try opening the jpg's in another app and then saving them anew. Some programmes - such as Coral Draw or Graphic Converter - can open some pretty corrupt jpgs.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SammyK
    But, I just wanted to say that the girl on the right looks European. Is she? In fact she looks like one of my Dutch friends.
    They are both swedes Anyone have any other ideas?
  9. Happy Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by sliCeCube
    They are both swedes
    I KNEW IT!

I really wish I could help you on your problem though.
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Maybe you want to attach one of your corrupted photos as a forum file attachment and see if anyone can find something that will open it and/or fix it. I can give it a shot in Paint Shop Pro 9, for example. That looks like truncated data though to me. There might not be a fix if the data is simply missing.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture

Sorry, but you would probably have a better chance at recovering deleted photos than to be able to restore those corrupted images.

The thumbnails are saved separately from the full resolution image... whether its one of those windows thumbs.db files ... or saved by photoshop.

You should still be able to open them with something other than PhotoShop. Try opening with a web browser or you could try IrfanView and then recrop them to save a good copy of what is left.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hey i had the smae problem awhile ago. You can get some recovery tools for pc that helps restore the image. I use FIXit. Program that restores the image from thumnails. Works fine with me. Here is a link where you can find it.

*Link Deactivated: FIXit

If ya hvae any problems please email me.

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by Hombre; September 14th, 2006 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Link Removed: Direct .exe file location download. Please link to details/information page for software instead.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mad-mike
    Hey i had the smae problem awhile ago. You can get some recovery tools for pc that helps restore the image. I use FIXit. Program that restores the image from thumnails. Works fine with me. Here is a link where you can find it.

*Link Deactivated: FIXit

If ya hvae any problems please email me.

Cheers

Mike
    Cant find anything called FIXit, sorry :/

Attached a broken image! Anyone who would like to give it a try, please do! Would mean a lot to me! + hey! you get to see hot girls!

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5571/b509612167qv3.jpg

(Btw, tried to attach the image with the forum attach, but it gave me: "Not a valid image" error..
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi,

As you are unable to open the pictures, it seems that recovery software didn’t recover in right way. I have faced this problem and tried Stellar phoenix photo recovery software which repair my corrupted images as well as recovered whole images. Download demo version of the software from here: photo-recovery-software.com. After downloading the software install it and follow the simple steps to check the preview of recovered images. This software is nice one and it will definitely help you.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thats really weird! I havent seen this problem before. Maybe Its from Alt+Tab?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo