1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gaps appearing in line art with resolution change

I am re-sizing some line art. Making it smaller. From roughly 2000x2000px to 400x400px. When I do this a part of the line art dissapears, only a small part, becoming very faint. Is it doing this as the quality is being degraded because of the size change? How can I stop it doing this?

It doesn't seem to do it all the time, just occasionally.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That's a consequence of reducing the size of the image, you can't stop it except by not resizing the image.

A 2000x2000 image has 4 million pixels. A 400x400 image only has 160k pixels. Therefore, as part of the resizing process you must discard 3.84 million pixels of data.

Image editors do this using algorithms that attempt to preserve as much of the image as possible by merging multiple pixels together. For example, if it merges a black pixel and a white pixel that are right next to each other, you end up with a grey pixel. This is why parts of the image become faint.

This happens all the time, however on some images it is more noticeable than on others simply due to the position and colors of the pixels.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I figured this would be the case.

Thanks for the help!

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo