1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help w/picture cutouts

newb question
    how do u cut a pic out of its background?
  3. learning to fly

Use one of the selection tools to select the area you want to remove. Then ctrl-c to copy, ctrl-n for new doc (which is automatically set to the correct size to hold the item in the clipboard), ctrl-v to paste.
  5. No Profile Picture

no,i mean like take a pic,regular pic,and u wanna cut out lets say a person in the pick...perfectly...is that wat u do?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Best thing mate, providing the background colour is high in contrast to the object you want 'cut out', or the background is all one colour. Simply select the magic wand tool, lower the tolerance to 10 and click there background, then press delete and you should be left with the object you want on its own.
  9. Contributing User

Originally posted by steve1959
    Use one of the selection tools to select the area you want to remove. Then ctrl-c to copy, ctrl-n for new doc (which is automatically set to the correct size to hold the item in the clipboard), ctrl-v to paste.
    Originally posted by ligthredemption
    no,i mean like take a pic,regular pic,and u wanna cut out lets say a person in the pick...perfectly...is that wat u do?
    yup. thats how its done.

Originally posted by TRshady
    Best thing mate, providing the background colour is high in contrast to the object you want 'cut out', or the background is all one colour. Simply select the magic wand tool, lower the tolerance to 10 and click there background, then press delete and you should be left with the object you want on its own.
    ehhh...thats a nice tool but....unfortunately its kinda sketchy when it comes to this...i think the way it works is it matches patterns and somehow figures out what you are trying to select but it really takes some experience to get it to select the right bit...if there are shadows or anything this may cut them out and make it look wierd...dont get me wrong, sometimes it is the answer...but it doesnt work everywhere...use one of the selection tools...i prefer the polygonal one because its alot easier to use then the standard lasso tool. it is rather time consuming and may not seem like the best solution but...

if anyone else has anyhting better let me know

good lucky and ROCK ON!!
    "I hate quotations."
    -ralph waldo emerson-
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here is a link to extract an object out of an image. I have found this to work wonderfully.
    Extract an object

It should work perfectly for what you need.
  13. No Profile Picture

Or better yet, use the quick mask tool (in the toolbar, under the two sqares where you select the foreground/background color, there is two buttons with a rectangle and a circle in it)(Keyboard shortcut: Q)

Go in quick mask mode by pressing the button to the right. Then paint with black over the part you want to cut out. (The greatest is that you can use any painting tool, so it give extreme precision)
    I know, the color you selected is black but it paints red? or blue? It is normal.

Now, when you have painted what you want, just press the button to the left to return in normal mode.
    What you have painted is now selected
    (based on your preference, maybe it is what you have not painted that is selected. In that case you can inverse it by clicking on Select>Inverse)

et voilą! Hope it helps

On a side note, the extract function is really powerful, but not so for pictures with really defined borders. You may as well use the basic selection tools. But when it comes to hairs, fur or whatever else in that category, it knows what to select and what to keep out. I use it regularly in my projects.
    Last edited by TuxMan; November 20th, 2003 at 10:19 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo