1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with print/screen sizes

I wasn't sure where to post this. It sort of covers something already posted plus my own question, so I thought I should post it seperately.

Ok, here goes.

Originally posted by Arden
    If it's 8.5x11 at 300 dpi, then you'll be fine... otherwise, if you need it at 8.5x11 and it's something else, like 72 dpi, then you're going to lose image quality by resizing it.
    Under "Image", then "Image Size", there is the option to change the resolution of the image.
    Also, Under "Edit", then "Preferences", there is an option to set the default PRINT resolution and the default SCREEN resolution.

So my question is, when you say 300dpi should be fine, what/which option(s) should be set to 300dpi? And Is the option under "Image Size" for screen or print resolution?

Also, at the bottom left of the screen where you see the image dimensions and you can set whether you want to see pixel size or inches, I have it set to show me the image dimensions in pixels. If I set it to show me image dimension in inches, will that be telling me print inches or screen size inches?

I thought that if I set both options under "Preferences" to 300dpi, that I would then see on screen, while doing my editing, the same size as the actual print size, but when I tried it, the print size remained very small but the on-screen image remained large (800 x 600).

My problem is I created a new blank image 800x600 pixels, and then filled it up with a collage of sorts, thinking the 800x600 was roughly the right size to fill most of a standard 8.5x11 piece of paper. But as I've discovered, the print size is only about 1/4 that size. Now I'm not sure what I need to change to make the image print out at the 8.5x11 size and not lose image quality.
    The image has about 15 layers in it so I don't want to have to go back and start from scratch.

Thanks for your help,

EZ
  3. action=(isSleep())?sleep:code;
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The 300dpi is the print resolution. Most computer monitors are 72dpi. When you first create an image and you are doing it for print you should set the resolution to 300dpi and then choose the dimensions, ie A4, Letter or whatever. That way you know that what you are working on will print to that size perfectly without loss of quality.

To print out you're just going to have to increase the image size, (you can do this by going to Image->Image Size and then setting the resolution to 300) you will loose some quality, there's no way around this (unless you used vector graphics).

HTH

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo