1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy help! saved over file in photoshop can it be retrieved?

Hi all
    I accidently saved over a file in photo shop. I was working on an image and I had a saved layered file in photoshop. When i went to print it I flattened the image to make things go faster. Alas with little sleep and a meeting I was rushing to get to I closed the image window and in doing so photoshop asked me "Do I want to save" - I said yes and saved over the layered version with the flattened one. Is there a way to retrieve the layered version once it is saved over?
    thanks
    matt
  3. Contributing User

Eh... I'm really sorry to say that there is not. Once you overwrite a file and close it down, it's pretty much done.

One technique that may have worked if the program wasn't shut down, would be that after you overwrote the layered file with the flattened file, to ctrl-z or shift-ctrl-z. This will undo your changes, or step backward consecutively and would go back to the way you had it layered before flattening it. Then you could re-save that, or save it as something else.

bummer,
    hth,
    animgirl
  5. No Profile Picture

Wink

thanks for responding animgirl- yes i have that sinking feeling that the file is lost- just goes to show with little sleep and a deadline you can make stupid mistakes. An i would have tried to used the history palette if i did not close the window and over-write my previously saved version....ug.

thanks again
    matt
  7. Contributing User

I had a file losing incident that scarred me for all my days.
    I was working in ps6 for a whole day on this graphic that I thought was pretty sweet. I had been saving it periodically, and was working on the final touches when all of a sudden my computer locked. (At this point my heart skipped a beat).

I rebooted, a bit worried but pretty much expecting to go open the file and finish it.

Well, the thumbnail preview was right on target, but when I opened the file in ps6, the canvas was completely black with some really strange red strokes across it. My file had been corrupted. So, I tried to make the graphic again and was never able to.

Ever since then, I always save 2 copies of what I'm working on if it's really important. Funny thing is, once I started doing this, I've never had a file corrupted again anyway.

How's that for a spooky story
    animgirl
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, I save incessantly (after every move), and I generally make at LEAST two copies. I always make a copy if I'm going to flatten the image (for whatever reason).

CTRL + S is your best friend.
  11. No Profile Picture

good advice

Hi everyone
    thanks for the tip! i probably should start saving 2 files, oh well. such is life.

if you want to see what i do here you go

http://www.matt****e.com

thanks for the advice.

matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo