1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with Vintage, Blended Look?

Hey everyone. New to the forum, but wanted to get some advice from the experts. I am desperately trying to achieve this exact vintage, blurred look for a photo set I have, and turn it into a preset or action for later use:

(change x to correct letters)

hxxp://frankocean.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tumblr_m0p1dyx4LX1qmrbzio1_1280.jpeg

hxxp://frankocean.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FrankOcean-Spin1.jpg

Please let me know any advice, preset/action, or tips you may have! I truly appreciate it.
  3. No Profile Picture

RE:Help with Vintage, Blended Look!

I'm not familiar with this specific effect but the image you linked to fascinated me, so I just had to look around...

Apart from the lomo effect and some more specific vintage effects, it may be best to attempt this with Lightroom, but you need to have the tool.

Good luck! -Ronny
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cgangitano
    Hey everyone. New to the forum, but wanted to get some advice from the experts. I am desperately trying to achieve this exact vintage, blurred look for a photo set I have, and turn it into a preset or action for later use:

(change x to correct letters)

hxxp://frankocean.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tumblr_m0p1dyx4LX1qmrbzio1_1280.jpeg

hxxp://frankocean.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FrankOcean-Spin1.jpg

Please let me know any advice, preset/action, or tips you may have! I truly appreciate it.
    You will need to use Lightroom
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fouettes
    You will need to use Lightroom
    how's about you explain that fully instead of one pointless statement, just so we know you're not trolling?
  9. No Profile Picture

In Photoshop, there are often several different ways you can achieve an effect. What I'm going to suggest may or may not work, but from looking at the image it's what I'd try first...

1. Select the figure and save the selection for later use.

2. Create a new layer via copy, so you're copying the person in the image. Copy this layer and hide it for now.

3. Darken that layer to black using levels, then bring the brightness back up so it's somewhat gray, with no detail.

4. Using color balance, play around with it until you get it kind of brown, or whatever color you want.

5. Adjust the transparency of the layer to what you think you'd want.

6. Move this layer around (down and to the right in the case of the first sample image) until you find the spot for it.

7. Blur that layer a little. This would be your dark shadowy image.

9. Un-hide the hidden layer.

10. Repeat steps 3 through 6 as needed to achive whatever effect you want. DON'T blur this image. This will be the layer that lightens portions of your image, the yellowish area in the first sample photo.

11. Re-select your darker layer.

12. Reload the previously saved selection, but invert the selection.

13. Cut using your delete key or whatever. This should leave sharp edges in your dark layer that conform to the outline of your main image.

This won't give you the exact effect you see, but it's a starting point assuming you don't have plug-ins for it. Again, there are often many ways to do things, but considering I don't have Photoshop open at the moment, it's how I think I'd proceed. As I work, I might change things a bit, undo some things, add other steps, etc.

Dave

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo