1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

image is jagged ?

now that i know how to resize the object in the document and make it smaller its seems to me its more jagged, not as smooth as it was when it was more zoomed in, whats the best way to go about this, take a smaller picture (cameras further away) or can i do it in adobe...?
  3. Contributing User

Well, when you make a picture smaller it's not supposed to make something jagged, so I find this a bit odd.

Is this a drastic very noticeable jaggedness or not as noticeable?
    Could you post the before and after?

animgirl
  5. No Profile Picture

ok this is what i did ...
    1 took a picture of a fingernail with a digital slr set to tif and large quality
    2 transfered it to the computer
    3 opened it in the adobe working space
    4 then cropped the object (fingernail) and dragged it into a new document
    i took this picture furthur away with the camera so the object is smaller and on the ruler on the document its measured about a inch tall and half a inch wide... but its not that clear its a little jagged...now.. when i zoom in on adobe (fingernail remains same size according to the ruler on the document...but on computer screen its bigger) its more clear...
    so is it the computer screeen thats showing me the jaggedness or when i print it will show the same jaggedness ? or how do i get rid of the jaggedness all together ??? 3008 x 2000 is the picture...
  7. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Well, when you zoom in on a picture, it doesn't change the pixels themselves, just how you view them. If you're at 200% zoom, you're looking at the pixels twice as big as they normally are. If you're at 800%, they're 8x as big. When you're at 50%, they're not half as big, but you see half as many up and down, or a quarter the number of pixels in the image.

To actually resize an image, go to Image > Image Size. And don't use the Nearest Neighbor option or your images will become jagged.
  9. No Profile Picture

thanks Arden... i see what your saying, but if i dont ctrl +t to resize the image and go to image > image size it resizes the whole document...what i needed to do was resize the object itself to a certain size that i need it .... and i do that by ctrl + t and then i have the ruler on the document and then i can see how big the object that i cut out is exactly in mesurement....and i hope that when it prints it is printing out that mesurement for the object, unless of course you have a better way for me to try out that would be appreciated ... thanks =)
    Last edited by lori l; November 14th, 2003 at 06:34 PM.
  11. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Okay, if you want to resize the entire image, use Image Size. If you want to resize a layer, select the move tool, click "Show Bounding Box," and click one of the corner boxes that now appear around the object.

Also, Control-[-] and Control-[+] (control-minus and -plus) will zoom you in and out.

Also also, the ruler will show you how big your image will print out. If it says it's an inch long but the space between the 1 and 2 is 3 inches, it'll print out correctly anyway. To change this, go into Image Size, uncheck Resize Image, and play with the 3 text fields that remain.
  13. No Profile Picture

The easiest and best way to resize an image without losing quality is to go to File>Transform>Scale If you do that Photoshop will automatically adjust the pixels so that the quality is the same as its original.
  15. No Profile Picture

I agree with the previous, however if you are using the image for a webpage you may want to consider foregoing thumbnails/smaller pix and just use a larger one ONLY.

This would mean you upload your original image to your website, and keep calling it up in your HTML source code.

Example:
    (img src="image1.jpg")
    This shows the image at full size.

Example 2:
    (img src="image1.jpg" width="25%" height="25%")
    You are still calling on the same image, and it takes the same amount of time to load onto their browser, but the size is not only 25% of the original but the quality is BETTER than putting up "Image2.jpg" that was scaled down. Try it on a webpage and compare.

Usually though, a thumbnail/smaller image is only a portal to showing you the original higher res image anyway, so that smaller image's lack of quality is forgiveable.

- Sahavay

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo