Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Interface design feedback

Hi,

I'm working on an interface for my new web company and would like your feedback. Basically, while I'm happy with the design, I don't know what to do about the area surrounding it. It looks odd if it doesn't have some sort of a border around it, or something to 'hold' it in place (kinda like a frame). Nahmean?

Here's the old design:
    http://www.groundedgroup.com/GG_Main.wtf
    As you'll see, it has a border, which makes it look aight, but I think it could look way better.

Here's the new design:
    http://ggroup.ungratefulgrandchild.c...faceToShow.jpg

And here's the new design with a frame I was messing with:
    http://ggroup.ungratefulgrandchild.c...ShowBorder.jpg

Any thoughts/design comments would be mighty appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by JHouse; October 24th, 2003 at 12:27 AM.
  3. Contributing User

Hey,

I'm not sure if the border on the last example fits wells. You're right, it does need something though.

Instead of a gray base background, I would suggest bringing out a color that's in your header (which is real cool btw).

I think I would also use the the vertical line idea that's in your header and tile that in the background, as a subtle effect. Then I'd put a thin solid black outline around your main page section just to separate it slighty more.

Just some thoughts,
    animgirl
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by animgirl
    Hey,

I'm not sure if the border on the last example fits wells. You're right, it does need something though.

Instead of a gray base background, I would suggest bringing out a color that's in your header (which is real cool btw).

I think I would also use the the vertical line idea that's in your header and tile that in the background, as a subtle effect. Then I'd put a thin solid black outline around your main page section just to separate it slighty more.

Just some thoughts,
    animgirl
    Very good feedback..

1. I agree, I'm not sure if the last example's border fits too well either. Actually, I'm sure that it doesn't now, otherwise I'd be happy with it.

2. I agree with pulling out a color in my header, good idea. Thanks for the compliments on that too...I made it from skratch, no filters or anything.

3. Your last idea was really on point. I really like it. Maybe I'll have subtle green vert lines on a black background, or maybe a gray background, with the border like you suggested. Actually, I was thinking about making the border like this: http://www.rimstop.com/home.asp (See how it has a nice lift? I'm thinking a lift of some sort would look cool, give it more pop.)

Thanks again for your feedback. I'm gonna try this **** out.
    Last edited by JHouse; October 24th, 2003 at 12:47 AM.
  7. Contributing User

Cool! Let us know what happens...

animgirl
  9. No Profile Picture

I prefer the "old" version...it's cleaner and less cluttered.

Sometimes what you leave out is as important aswhat you put into a design.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, here's what I got:
    http://ggroup.ungratefulgrandchild.c...aceToShow2.jpg

I actually don't know how to save transparent gifs too well as I'm having a tough time getting the shadow border (around the main design) to blend in with the water background tile on the web. It's kind of a challenge with patterns. Any help in this area would be great. Thanks.
  13. Contributing User

The background tiles?
    I think it looks pretty good, but I would suggest toning it the same shade green as in your header.

Also, so the background doesn't take too much attention away from the content, I think I would still add some thin black vertical lines over the top to darken it a bit. If that isn't enough, I would put your background layer over a solid black layer and change the transparency of that itself, to darken it.

Some thoughts,
    animgirl
  15. what's your moniker?

Originally posted by JHouse
    I made it from skratch, no filters or anything.
    That header is nice. How'd you make it? (reader's digest version, I can fill in the blanks )

I do like the chrome background. it's a little busy though. I would make it a color from the site, and either fade it out, or work in your line style. There's nothing wrong with backgrounds, but I prefer something simple: have you thought about just putting the whole thing on a white or light blue background?

thanks
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Animgirl

Thanks for the design ideas...I tried applying the vert lines over the water effect (looks cool), and I tried making the water a bit opaque with a black background (looks alright).

stinkoman

Thanks for the header compliments. As far as how I did them, uhhh, this is one thing I don't want to reveal. This is kinda my own thing (I've never seen it before) and I really don't want others doing the same thing. Sorry about that. However, if you want to make a similar effect, and change it so it doesn't look the same, I'd share this info with you directly. It's really not that hard if you think about it. Basically, there are all these cool designs floating about, however they lose their coolness when everybody's doing them. I'm sure you can understand.

And yes, the water background may look too busy, but I'm not so sure. I'm kinda on the fence about it. It has a rich effect, which I like, just maybe a little too busy. I'm gonna play around with it some more. And yes, I have tried simple solid backgrounds as I too like a simple, clean look. While it looked nice and easy on the eyes, it kinda deminshes the pop and overall richness, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for all your guys feedback.

BTW, here's the design with the vert lines, at around 30% transparency...
    Attached Images
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BTW, if you guys like my header, you'll probably like this: http://www.ungratefulgrandchild.com/misc-art/Tuff.jpg

I think I'm going to use the pipe thingy deal as my signature. Meaning, you'll see some form of it in a lot of my sites, however the application will never be identical.

Thanks again for the compliments. It means a lot coming from other seasoned designers.

Take care.
  21. Contributing User

Well, to be honest I almost think the background is too busy. I find myself having issues reading the content because I see the background there, and want to look at it; but that could be just me.

animgirl
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmmm, I'm gonna really think about that, 'cause I obviously don't want my visitors to be distracted. Maybe I just need to make the content stand out that much more, without cluttering the whole shabang and thus making it too busy.

Thanks again for the feedback. I may have a new version up in the next day or two, so I'll post it. I have a subtle, yet really cool idea for the navigation now. Currently, when you mouse over each menu option, it executes a different skratch. I think that's cool, but not consistent with my target markets and overall message I want to establish. Basically, I'm using this site to go after more of the corporate/conservative audience, while Ungrateful Grandchild will focus more on the liberal industries (entertainment, sports, etc.)

For what it's worth, I totally take your ideas into consideration and pretty much agree with them.

Thanks.
  25. Contributing User

Glad to help.
    Can't wait to see how things evolve...

animgirl
  27. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

I think you should leave the background gray and put a medium border around your content.
  29. meester luva luva
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I agree animgirl - I keep getting drawn to the background. Personally I would remove it altogether, it looks far too cluttered to my eyes. Im also not sure on the colour scheme, but that is personal preference. You are never going to get everyone to like it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo