1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

overlay turns out reddish color

Whenever I set a layer to "overlay" or "hard light" or anything else, it comes out a reddish color, and I can't find anyway to fix it.

Like I want to put someone's face on a dog. I set the face layer to "hard light" cause it stands out better then overlay. And it comes out a red color.

Even when I restart photoshop and/or computer, it always does it, even with different images.

Anyone got an idea of how to fix it?
  3. No Profile Picture

This is not a problem caused by Photoshop or by your computer, but is the actual result of using blending modes. The reddish color is actually called the "Result color". It is caused by the mixing of the base color(bottom layer) and the blend color(top layer you are assigning a blending mode to). For example, when using the Overlay mode, dark colors from the top layer darken colors in the bottom layer and lighter colors lighten colors in the bottom layer. The hard light layer is more complicated. However, the reddish color is probably caused because of the chosen images. Most likely the dog is black, but is probably a reddish black. (Use eyedropper to sample and check this) If this is the case then the reddish hue of a face can easily bring out the red. I would try adjusting the color balance of each image or perhaps adjusting hue/saturation. I hope I was helpful.
  5. Contributing User

This could also be caused by being in "Quick Mask Mode". The default color for this setting is red.

Here is more information on quick mask mode, and which button to push to get out of it.

hth,
    animgirl

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo