1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Photoshop moving a selection in multiple layers

In photoshop I'm working on a picture, and I want to move just part of the picture. But that part is on many different layers and I don't want to merge the layers. Is there any way to move a part of a picture while it is on different layers? (Basically i'm trying to use the selection tool while other layers are also selected to move the part, and I tried chain linking the layers but is still does not move the selection, it only moves the whole picture)
  3. No Profile Picture

To my knowledge, Adobe has yet to develop anything like this in Photoshop. You're probably just going to have to settle on dragging layers individually.

Are you asking because you have a massive number of layers or something? I don't see how dragging them individually would be such a huge problem typically.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if it's something you're going to move and be done w/, i guess you could select the area and use Copy Merged, to give you a new layer w/ a composite of every layer under your selection area, then move that to where you want. If you want everything still separated to do further amendments tho, you'd have to remove them layer by layer. Setting up a quick Action might speed things up.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe I'm not understanding this issue properly, but won't linking the layers (clicking the 'chain' icon in the layers menu) work?
  9. No Profile Picture

not sure which version of PS we're talking about, but in PS Elements 7, I just click the move tool, then since the chain icon doesn't light up til more than one layer is selected, I go click on the first layer of the layers I want to move, then hold ctrl til I've selected each layer I want to move, and then move them all (without clicking on the chain icon,..just got use to doing it that way)....after moving them, just clicking on a single layer unlocks the moved layers.. if I'm going to be moving the grouped layers alot, I go ahead n lock them using the chain icon. (just a note about selecting the layers to be moved..; you can use 'shift' if you need to select several layers that are 'wall to wall', but when selecting every other layer,etc., u need to use 'ctrl')
  11. No Profile Picture

Photoshop moving a selection in multiple layers

I am using Photoshop CS6 and I can move the unmerged file by selecting all layers, then I use the small drop down box at the top right corner of the layers panel and choosing "new group from layers". This groups the layers all together and moves them all at once
  13. No Profile Picture

You have to marge the layers..that is the only way...
    suggested by Shaan Graphics

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo