1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation A question regarding the channels pallette

I have a new file in front of me designed for printing purposes. It's a CMYK tif image with an additional colour Alpha 1 in the channels pallette. Can anyone tell me what this is and what the purpose of this is. The image seems to be a grayscale image, in CMYK mode, with an additional Alpha 1 channel!?! Can someone help me with this?
  3. sardonyx quinx

As far as I'm concern, putting the image mode to rgb and cmyk doesn't have much difference. (since im using RGB most likely)

In short, you can change your image mode to RGB by going to...

Image > Mode > RGB

RGB = works best
    CMYK = ahhmm... will work, yeah

Hope that helps you somehow.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The channel was probably used for creating a bevel or some shape(s). I wouldn't delete it as you may need to create this shape again for whatever reason.

BTW, if this is for printing purposes, I think you want to stick with CMYK, as RGB is for web and other screen related objectives. I'm not completely positive about this though, but pretty sure.

Good luck.
  7. This is only a test
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you're going to print, use CMYK. If it's going to be online, use RGB. They're two entirely different color systems.

[edit]
    If there's no color, of course, you can use grayscale for printing. I'd cut the visibility out on the Alpha channel, and see what it does. If there's no difference, I wouldn't worry about it, and if you're printing separations, the alpha will have to be merged into the CMYK channels anyway.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Ucht; October 10th, 2003 at 03:29 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo