1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about slices

I am just starting out learning Photoshop 8 CS. Whilst I understand slices and what they are I do have a question about them as follows.

Once my image is sliced and saved how does it then get used in my web design software (in my case Dreamweaver.) What I mean is do I create the required amount of cells as there are slices and insert each sliced image into each cell. Or do I create just one table or cell and then the slices create there own cells within this table?
    I am not quite sure how they work once created.

thank you,

Trueman.
  3. Contributing User

yes basically that is what happens..

lucky for you this feature is built in to photoshop since the task of creating all those cells at the right height and width dimensions for each slice would be ridiculously complex (unless you have a very simple layout but most ppl slice em small so they load faster...in theory)

take your image...slice it up and then go to:

File>Save Optimized As HTML...

that will write the table cells for you complete with images in place and when you open up the page it created it should look exactly like the solid image! you wont even know its sliced. it will even stick all the little slices into an images folder!!

the thing most people have trouble with is once it is in html they mess it up by playing with the cells and trying to stretch them only to realize that they're layout is ruined and looks awful

so try that out and unless you are pretty solid with your html, take it easy in dreamweaver

hope this helps!

good lucky and rock on!!
    "I hate quotations."
    -ralph waldo emerson-
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great Thanks Cliffhanger. I will give it a try and see how I go.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo