1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Replace color of shape with image

I'd like to replace the color of a shape with an image... I did it once, but lost the link to the tutorial I used...

can someone point me to another tutorial or give me the instructions here?

basically I want to replace an all-black shape with an image, so that the shape appears with the image in it, as opposed to the original color, black...

I apologize if this is redundant, I have serarched.. just joined this forum, so I'm a newbie...

many thanks...
  3. Plays with fire
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Lots of ways to do this depending on what you want to do with the final image. Here's one:

1) have your shape on layer 1
    2) create a new layer above layer one called layer 2
    3) place your cursor in the layers palette between the layers and ALT-CLICK (not sure of the Mac equivalent) and you're done

That basically says use your shape as a mask for the image. You can move the image around to reveal different parts and the shape won't move or change.

Here's another way:

1) put your image on a layer
    2) click the Add Vector Mask button at the bottom of the layers palette; you'll see your image with a white box next to it on the same layer
    3) single-click the white box and draw your shape; remember this is a mask so white is visible, black is hidden

HTH

/kevin
    “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo