August 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Replace color of shape with image
I'd like to replace the color of a shape with an image... I did it once, but lost the link to the tutorial I used...
can someone point me to another tutorial or give me the instructions here?
basically I want to replace an all-black shape with an image, so that the shape appears with the image in it, as opposed to the original color, black...
I apologize if this is redundant, I have serarched.. just joined this forum, so I'm a newbie...
September 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Lots of ways to do this depending on what you want to do with the final image. Here's one:
1) have your shape on layer 1
2) create a new layer above layer one called layer 2
3) place your cursor in the layers palette between the layers and ALT-CLICK (not sure of the Mac equivalent) and you're done
That basically says use your shape as a mask for the image. You can move the image around to reveal different parts and the shape won't move or change.
Here's another way:
1) put your image on a layer
2) click the Add Vector Mask button at the bottom of the layers palette; you'll see your image with a white box next to it on the same layer
3) single-click the white box and draw your shape; remember this is a mask so white is visible, black is hidden
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann
"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence