1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Restricted User cannot create new image.

Hi there.

I work as system admin in a school and we are experiencing problems with some of our users - namely the pupils at the school.

All machines are fully up-to-date Windows 2000 and work fine on all other progs. These users have slightly restricted accounts - in that they cannot write to local drives.

Photoshop (6.0) opens fine, however gives a corrupted "new image" dialogue box when you click on File>New (or ctrl-N).

by corrupted I mean it comes up with file name "U" (instead of Untitled-1) and will not allow you to change to dimensions. Defaults to: width 7 inches, height 5 inches, dimensions 2 pixels/cm.

If you try to change the values of the dimensions you get an error message that reads:
    "Invalid Numeric Entry. A number between 0.001 and 3000.000 is required. Closet value inserted". It then flicks back to the default value.

If you try to open the new image as it is (without changing anything, or even after unsuccessfully trying to change anything), this message springs up:
    "The image would be too large to store in a file. Decrees the dimensions or the resolution".

Opening an old file or image presents no problem.

Even if no-one knows of a nice quick fix, does anyone know whether Photoshop writes a temporary file to the local drive when creating a new image (or registry key??!?) or anything similar that might be causing this??

If anyone has a guide to what Photoshop does when cr4eating a new image then that may be very handy - then I can o through the process, eliminating as I go...

Thank you in advance for any help received.

Chepen
    x
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would definitely post this question on the Adobe site too. They have a basic, yet pretty active PS forum.

Good luck.
  5. learning to fly

Chepen, it's extrememely likely the problems you're seeing are the result of a corrupt preferences file. It probably needs to be rebuilt.

The sequence for doing so is:

1. Exit all instances of Photoshop
    2. Locate the preferences file. On Win2000, it can be found in the Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\version\Adobe Photoshop (version) Settings folder.
    3. Locate the prefs file, and rename the file to whatever--'oldprefs.old' works as well as anything.
    4. Restart the computer (not completely necessary, but handy just to flush things out completely)
    5. Start Photoshop and re-enter your preferences.

For more information on this and other troubleshooting procedures, visit the Adobe website at: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/23fae.htm
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you,

I'll have a look at rebuilding the preferences file - sounds like a winner to me. In the meantime I will post on Adobe's site - very sensible idea...

thanks again. much appriciated.

I'll keep you posted.

Dx
  9. learning to fly

Chepen, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear on this when I wrote the directions. On step 5 when you start Photoshop, it will look for the prefs file and will create a new one on its own when it doesn't find a previous version. There's nothing YOU have to do to 'rebuild' it. It's done automatically, but everything is returned to its default setting.
  11. No Profile Picture

cheers Steve,

Sorry - I did get what you meant, thank you.

Unfortunately it did not work.. :-(

Photoshop started 'as if for the first time' and asked to me to define the colours etc that I wanted to use (part of the prefs. file no doubt).

However I got the same type of error message - Invalid Numeric Entry - when trying just to accdept the new defaults.

So, yes it rebuilt the preference file, but still a curropted version.

Any further ideas?

By the way, It should go without saying that we have uninstalled, reinstalled, defraged and dskchk'd to kingdom-come already. So we believe the installation to be good at this stage (or at least, free from any of the standerd errors with something like this.).

Chepen
    x
  13. learning to fly

I'm sorry, no, I've no more ideas. Maybe the Adobe support forums can help out. Sorry :/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo