Thread: rollovers

1. No Profile Picture
    No. 4
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

rollovers

hi

i want to make a rollover where the original button is a yellow star with writing on it (it's for an appeal) and the rollover will be the same star with a corona effect to highlight it.

on the page it is going on to it is not possible to place it in a place where the background is a single flat colour so it needs transparency - however .gif and .png-8 destroy the corona effect and .png-24 is a pretty large file
    what would be the best way around this (if there is a way...)

thanks a lot,

jim
    On a nationwide tour - back next year as champions.
  3. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Either place it within a <div> with the appropriate background, or use PNG -24. The first will make your page more cluttered, especially if you add a border, and the second (as you mentioned) will add to your bandwidth use.
  5. No Profile Picture
    No. 4

thanks Arden

i think i will have to take a screen capture and place it on that and then, as you say, place it in a div....

jim
  7. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

What would the screen capture be for?
  9. No Profile Picture
    No. 4

because where i wish to place the image there is no part of the screen where the colour is flat, to use the corona effect and avoid the large png-24 file i figure that i will need to have it as an image with the background already there - if that poor use of english makes sense!!
  11. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Hmm... it's going to be really hard to get an image that contains a textured background to look good against that background, because some browser out there is going to mess with your alignment and it will look out of place.

I'd say just go with the PNG file this once, since it seems like you have to in order to get the effect you want, and use smaller file types for other images.

BTW, would it be possible to see this site you are working on?
  13. No Profile Picture
    No. 4

hi Arden

i agree with all that! still debating with myself about using the PNG file...

the site is here

i really want to put the image in the top right, overlapping element volunteer abroad programs. Failing that it may go beneath and overlap the picture of the girl - but that could confuse users into thinking they are connected.....

cheers,

jim
  15. Contributing User

why not just use ImageReady for the rollover part....?

it has different rollover states and you can set different layers as those states

so make your normal image and then click the rollover state and you can change it to have whatever effect you are trying to accomplish

Image ready will worry all about the different file types as well as the coding..

good lucky and rock on!!
    "I hate quotations."
    -ralph waldo emerson-

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo