1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Saving an image with background set to opaque

Hi there,

So I feel kinda frustrated that this silly error keeps occuring. I have been using Photoshop (CS5) for many years now, and not had this problem before.

I am developing a website and want to add a black box on a background with the opaceity set to around 60, so you can see the background through it.

The background is already uploaded on the template, so I am basically just making a black rectangle with some elements on it, and setting down the opacity.

But whenever I save it, it just saves as a grey block, instead of giving me the opaque features I want. I have tried saving for web & devices, set the preset to both PNG-24 and GIF, made sure transparency was ticked and interlace too, but nothing seems to work. Whatever way I save it, I still get the grey box.

Now, if i put in a background other than the squares of the transparent background, it works, but that's the only way I can get it to do so.

Any clues/hints on how to save the file proberly ?

Cheers, Rasmus
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Diabolito
    Hi there,

So I feel kinda frustrated that this silly error keeps occuring. I have been using Photoshop (CS5) for many years now, and not had this problem before.

I am developing a website and want to add a black box on a background with the opaceity set to around 60, so you can see the background through it.

The background is already uploaded on the template, so I am basically just making a black rectangle with some elements on it, and setting down the opacity.

But whenever I save it, it just saves as a grey block, instead of giving me the opaque features I want. I have tried saving for web & devices, set the preset to both PNG-24 and GIF, made sure transparency was ticked and interlace too, but nothing seems to work. Whatever way I save it, I still get the grey box.

Now, if i put in a background other than the squares of the transparent background, it works, but that's the only way I can get it to do so.

Any clues/hints on how to save the file proberly ?

Cheers, Rasmus
    Try saving for web&devices as a PNG checking only transparency (leave interlace unchecked) may just be whatever you're trying to view it in? try uploading/posting one of the ones you've saved?
  5. No Profile Picture

I already tried that, and it shows the same grey both in my image viewer, in the preview screen in PS and when I upload it to the website.

I do not know if it has got something to do, with not having a background layer with content behind the square, but in my mind, it should work regardless.
  7. No Profile Picture

Yeah, you shouldn't need to. E-mail your .psd file and the .png files you're trying to save to me at reid.blomquist at gmail dot com
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks mate, will mail it in a sec
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Add a transparent area to a picture
    If the picture does not have a transparent area, you can make one. You can create a transparent area in most pictures.

Select the picture that you want to create transparent areas in.
    On the Picture toolbar, click Set Transparent Color Button image.
    In the picture, click the color you want to make transparent.

Change from transparent to opaque:
    Select the picture.
    Press CTRL+T.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo