1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Saving an image with background set to opaque

Hi there,

So I feel kinda frustrated that this silly error keeps occuring. I have been using Photoshop (CS5) for many years now, and not had this problem before.

I am developing a website and want to add a black box on a background with the opaceity set to around 60, so you can see the background through it.

The background is already uploaded on the template, so I am basically just making a black rectangle with some elements on it, and setting down the opacity.

But whenever I save it, it just saves as a grey block, instead of giving me the opaque features I want. I have tried saving for web & devices, set the preset to both PNG-24 and GIF, made sure transparency was ticked and interlace too, but nothing seems to work. Whatever way I save it, I still get the grey box.

Now, if i put in a background other than the squares of the transparent background, it works, but that's the only way I can get it to do so.

Any clues/hints on how to save the file proberly ?

Cheers, Rasmus
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Diabolito
    Hi there,

So I feel kinda frustrated that this silly error keeps occuring. I have been using Photoshop (CS5) for many years now, and not had this problem before.

I am developing a website and want to add a black box on a background with the opaceity set to around 60, so you can see the background through it.

The background is already uploaded on the template, so I am basically just making a black rectangle with some elements on it, and setting down the opacity.

But whenever I save it, it just saves as a grey block, instead of giving me the opaque features I want. I have tried saving for web & devices, set the preset to both PNG-24 and GIF, made sure transparency was ticked and interlace too, but nothing seems to work. Whatever way I save it, I still get the grey box.

Now, if i put in a background other than the squares of the transparent background, it works, but that's the only way I can get it to do so.

Any clues/hints on how to save the file proberly ?

Cheers, Rasmus
    Try saving for web&devices as a PNG checking only transparency (leave interlace unchecked) may just be whatever you're trying to view it in? try uploading/posting one of the ones you've saved?
  5. No Profile Picture

I already tried that, and it shows the same grey both in my image viewer, in the preview screen in PS and when I upload it to the website.

I do not know if it has got something to do, with not having a background layer with content behind the square, but in my mind, it should work regardless.
  7. No Profile Picture

Yeah, you shouldn't need to. E-mail your .psd file and the .png files you're trying to save to me at reid.blomquist at gmail dot com
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks mate, will mail it in a sec

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo