1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Soft Brushes not showing up.

For some reason my soft brushes haven't been showing up in Photoshop. The circles with usually soft and faded edges are showing up as hard circles. Anyone else had this issue?

EDIT: I didn't figure out what it was, but after quitting twice they started showing up again.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Dr. Bowman,

Sounds like you may have selected the pencil tool inadvertently (which cannot do softness). Other possibilities are that you need to either adjust the hardness of your brushes, or load in the correct brushes. Assuming you have a fairly recent version of photoshop, here are some instructions for both solutions.

Make sure that you have selected the brush tool (not pencil)
    1. Look closely at your brush tool icon. Does it resemble a pencil or a brush? If it looks like a pencil, continue.
    2. Click and hold on the brush/pencil icon.
    3. When a menu appears, select the icon that looks most like a brush.

Adjust the hardness of your brush
    1. With the brush tool selected, click the dropdown arrow next to the brush shape in the topmost toolbar.
    2. Adjust the "Hardness" slider to achieve the appropriate amount of sharpness/softness of brush

Load the correct brushes
    1. With the brush tool selected, click the dropdown arrow next to the brush shape in the topmost toolbar.
    2. Click the tiny arrow that is pointing to the right. It is located in the top right corner of the menu that had appeared.
    3. Select "Reset Brushes" from the menu.

I hope that one of those options fixed your problem! My bet is on the pencil one. Good luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo