1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Transparent text

I hope I explain this correctly.

I wish to construct a white banner with text. I wish the text to be filled with a picture, which resides in a layer underneath the plain white. In other words make the text transparent. If I was doing this using paper I would just cut the letters out of the white sheet and put it on top of the picture. I am struggling to achieve a similar result using advanced technology.

I guess this has to do with either merging or masking, though I am quite unfamiliar with both.

I am using PS7.

Thanks in advance...
  3. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Place your image. Select the text tool and click on the outlined T at the top, in the Tool Options bar. Write your text, format it correctly, position it, etc., then push Enter, and you'll come up with a selection marquee. Click on the Layer Mask button in the Layers palette (rectangle with a hole cut in the middle) and voíla.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up resolved

Splendid, thankyou.

Just one thing, I couldn't find the outlined T in the toolbar, it was however on the right-click menu on the text tool.

Anyway thanks again.
  7. No Profile Picture

Alternate way

Another way to do this, in a non destructive manner, is to place the text to be the mask under the layer of the picture on question.
    Then, hold ALT and place your cursor on the line between the two layers. You should see that the cursor changed to an arrow with two circles, if so then click. Now, you see the picture only through the text. better, you can move either the text, or the picture to get a different effect.
  9. Contributing User

Re: Alternate way

Originally posted by TuxMan
    Another way to do this, in a non destructive manner, is to place the text to be the mask under the layer of the picture on question.
    Then, hold ALT and place your cursor on the line between the two layers. You should see that the cursor changed to an arrow with two circles, if so then click. Now, you see the picture only through the text. better, you can move either the text, or the picture to get a different effect.
    OHH thanks for that! I had another way of doing that but your suggestion is WAY easier! So many friggen things to learn about this program. All those shortcuts....Ill shoot myself if one day I actually remember them all lol
  11. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Well wouldn't that make you forget? Then you'd have to shoot yourself again for your stupidity.
  13. Contributing User

Originally posted by Arden
    Well wouldn't that make you forget? Then you'd have to shoot yourself again for your stupidity.
    I just mean its going to be sad if I actually do remember them. Because there are so many friggen shortcuts its crazy! Im usually good with picking things up pretty quickly, but I think that even after years and years, Ill still be learning.
    Like with this transparent text thing, I was doing it how you mentioned with the outlined T and some other stupid, more complicated than necessary way and then to find out there is this simple way!
    Im one of those anti-mouse people too so Im gonna prob end up remembering stupid useless PS shortcuts lol
  15. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Heh... like I say, whatever's necessary.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo