1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

make a vector graphic from normal graphic?

Does anyone know of a tutorial or a site that may explain how to do this? I dont mind redrawing the graphic, but i would like vector graphic made. Thanks!

-Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Why not try Adobe Illustrator?
  5. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't think photoshop has this capability. unfortunatly you may need something like illustrator, flash, or fireworks to complete the job. You would think as an industry standard photoshop should have these capabilities, so again I could be wrong.
  7. Contributing User

Well, i know that photoshop cant do this. lol. I have illistrator, but i have no idea how to use it. Thats what i was asking about. Is there some way to make a regular jpeg or gif file a vector graphics file?

-Matt
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you want to make a vector graphic out of photoshop you can use the pen tool. If I'm not mistaken, drawings made from pen tool are considered as vector graphics (cause they can be enlarge without distortion) Shapes made using shape tool are I think considered as vector graphics.
  11. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by MRK
    Well, i know that photoshop cant do this. lol.

-Matt
    My mistake, the fact that this was in the photoshop forum dynamically inserted it into your question.
  13. No Profile Picture

Difference between Photoshop and Illustrator

Photoshop is what is known as a raster based program. It is mainly used to manipulate and create images similar to a photograph...hence photoshop. Illustrator is a vector based program. Using a pen tool one is able to make scalable images similar to cartoons.

While Illustrator can handle raster images and Photoshop can import vector images, neither is made to do both. One program that I know of that can is called Canvas. But you are better sticking with Photoshop and Illustrator.
  15. This tagline is not long enoug

There's actually a really good tutorial on this, my friend just finished this picture http://www.deviantart.com/view/8305997/ completely in photoshop, although it is incredibly tedious...

The end result is excellent.

http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/vector.asp <--- that's the tute
  17. This tagline is not long enoug

Although if you want a quick and dirty method you could always import the picture into a flash document select it and use the 'trace bitmap' command... doesn't always work very nicely though.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is not to hard to do this in PS. Just use the magic wand to select the an item and then make it a path in the path panel. After you have done this with all the items export paths to illustrator and open them in your vector program and put them together.
    Have Eternal Life
    Learning is so unproductive...
    The more I learn the more questions I have!
    Therefore I am going backwards.
  21. No Profile Picture

Smile Vectors

Funny I should find this thread now - I've been looking for information on vectors for ages. I'm going to have a play on Illustrator and see what I can do...
  23. No Profile Picture

Adobe Illustrator is best for vector graphic and you can easily create designs in vector format. find here some good examples of vector graphic. Olive Vector
  25. No Profile Picture

Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign are good editors and easily convert your image in vector graphic. i am use Illustrator.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Photoshop is NOT a Raster based software. It is a Raster AND Vector Software. I would like to justify my claim before proceeding to answering your question. Photoshop allows you to create shapes and images using tools like the pen tool, or shape tool. I don't need to explain furhter, the claim is self-explainatory.

As for your task, if you want to carry it out in Photoshop, you will have to redraw using the pen tool, however, Adobe Illustrator, being a completly vector based software gives better options to accomplish the same task.

Not only does it have user friendly drawing tools but it also offers an image trace option which is quite useful and easier to use

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo