1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Photoshop CS5: "Out of Memory" error every 10 minutes, never happened before.

Hello, let me go right to my problem.

I'm using Photoshop CS5, AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor - 2,90 GHz, got 4gb RAM and 32bit Windows 7. Also an ATI Radeon HD 5700

I'm studying communications designs so I'm using Photoshop a lot. I've been using CS5 for quite a while now (like 3 months) and it never made any problems, except crashing every now and again which I didn't mind that much.

Since today though, it always gives ma a "Out of RAM Memory" Error, when I try to save, use the brush tool, or pretty much anything else, after like 10 minutes of working on a picture. The pictures I work on aren't big, the psd file is something like 30mb and I handled pictures that were 10 times bigger in the past, without getting that error. I don't use "content aware fill" which I often heard was the cause for this and I don't have anything except Photoshop opened when I'm working on a picture. I already increased the pagefile in windows, I raised the cashe settings in Photoshop to the maximum and still, the error occurs like 10-15 minutes after I start up Photoshop and start working on my picture.

Also, before all of that started to happen today, photoshop crashed an awful lot and I started to save more frequently, like once every 5 minutes.

Please, can anyone try to help me find a solution to this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

might not be relevant because i last had something like this well over 5 years ago on PS5 or 6, but : check your drive (and your scratch disc drive, if you have one, and make sure it's got a good amount of free space on it. it could be that the drive is stuffed and PS has no room to store off all the stuff it needs for History etc. also, check your memory if possible to make sure it's all still working and recognised by the OS.

and - do NOT allocate more than about 70% memory to PS if you're not using a 64bit OS!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo