1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing colors changes the background color

Hello all
    This seems to be a recent development; When I change a color in the color picker or sample a color with the eyedropper tool, it's changing the background color instead of the foreground color. For the life of me I can't find where to change it back to changing the foreground color.
    I'm running Photoshop CS2 with Mac OS 10.5.8, on a 1.8 gig power mac single processor.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

this happens as normal when you have the Alt key pressed in Windows - windows has a "feature" called sticky keys that can lock the Alt key down etc, not sue if Macs have something similar?
  5. No Profile Picture

The uncooperative color picker

Originally Posted by KillerWolf
    this happens as normal when you have the Alt key pressed in Windows - windows has a "feature" called sticky keys that can lock the Alt key down etc, not sue if Macs have something similar?
    On the Mac it's the "command" key, and I had been using that to get it to work like it should. It's as if that function has been reversed. Now here's where it gets interesting: After months of this backward functionality, It spontaneously went back to normal just after posting this thread! But your comment got me thinking; about the time that this problem started I had switched keyboards, which makes me wonder if this isn't some funky pram issue. Maybe I should zap my pram just for the heck of it… I'll also explore the "Sticky keys" function. If macs have a similar function I may have inadvertently activated it with out even knowing it.

Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by acorn60
    On the Mac it's the "command" key, and I had been using that to get it to work like it should. It's as if that function has been reversed. Now here's where it gets interesting: After months of this backward functionality, It spontaneously went back to normal just after posting this thread! But your comment got me thinking; about the time that this problem started I had switched keyboards, which makes me wonder if this isn't some funky pram issue. Maybe I should zap my pram just for the heck of it… I'll also explore the "Sticky keys" function. If macs have a similar function I may have inadvertently activated it with out even knowing it.

Thanks!
    The sticky keys are turned off in a way they couldn't be accidentally turned on. And I just booted up Photoshop and the backwards color picking is back. My head is being scratched…
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

just had a quick Google, does this work for you?

http://www.ghostcircles.com/dxs/archives/news/photoshop-eyedropper-background-problem/
  11. No Profile Picture

That Was It!

Killer Wolfe

Thank you very much! That does indeed seem to be the issue, and the fix.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sweet, glad it worked for you. there's nothing worse than something suddenly not doing what it used to, for no apparent reason!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo