1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using LCD screens for Photoshop and other Graphic, Web or Print related work.

Are LCD screens good for Graphic Designing. Will they translate the colors well for Grpahics, Web, Print, etc.

any opinions

cheers
    INE-Kpro...
    (eye-yen-kay pro)
    http://www.INE-Kpro.com
    enquiries@INE-Kpro.com
    <--- watch this space --->
  3. No Profile Picture

If you spend enough on a screen your bound to get a good one. But if I where you I'd stick to a normal screen.

I got a LaCie screen myself and it is perfect. Also get a calibrator if you want the best quality images.
  5. Known to taste like chicken

LCD screens are good, but can be pricey. You also need to run them at their 'native resolution' to get good quality....ie if they are designed for 1024x768 you cant run them at 800x600 and maintain quality
  7. meester luva luva
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Im going to say no. Due to the limitations of LCD screens, including 24-bit colour they are not as good in my first hand experience as even a mid range CRT. You will never get a totally even lighting source on a TFT, and even if you could it would change depending on what angle you were looking at the screen, thus changing the colours luminosity. They are also not very good at subtle gradiations. Especially grayscale. Another worry I found was image compressing. I know a lot of people don't bother with compressing their jpeg's anymore as they forget the whole world does not have broadband, but when you do compress them artefacting sets in a lot earlier on TFT's than it should do. I don't know why. But you can compress at least another 10-15% on a CRT and that image then looks the same on the TFT as it would have if compressed less.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo